You can help make longhorn better!

Phoenix86 said:
How does that help the individual builder who doesn't need/can't edit the image before install? I mean you'd need a working system just to edit the install.

The process outlined in that doc is great!
I would use the shit out of it at work, heck even at home. But I don't think that solves the problem a lot of people have, aka consumer/builders.

System builders and corporate IT folk are getting EXACTLY what they are asking for in this thread with the stuff in that .ppt. I highly recommend you people read that document.

edit: Oh and, can you say "Goodbye ghost"? I think MS just did...
Believe me, home users haven't been forgotten.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Ranma_Sao said:
Believe me, home users haven't been forgotten.

You tease... :p

Hers another vote for USB/CD support for MASS storage controllers! :D

Bleys2112 said:
Maybe we should petition mobo mfgs to put SATA delay features in the BIOS (especially in the MicoATX boards where space for useless junk is very limited), I have seen this feature in older systems. My old ABIT BE6 had it available for the onboard high-point controller, and that was a looong time ago!

Both my SLI-DR and my AX8 have that option. I never did actually see what the point was, though...now I see why it can be useful. I've never had that problem before.

Phoenix86 said:
You tease... :p
Believe me, I would like to tell you. But it's not worth losing my job over. ;)

Ranma_Sao said:
Believe me, I would like to tell you. But it's not worth losing my job over. ;)
I understand, but that still makes you a tease. :p

I don't understand why they wouldnt do this....
Floppy's are ancient. and no longer come with new machines. there is no practical use for a Floppy nowadays.

Common Microsoft! Get with the times. give us CDROM support at the very least!

I find it amusing that so many people are still posting "OMG get rid of the floppy" (paraphrasing) without taking browse through the PPT Ranma_Sao posted.

If the majority of people would just checkout the PPT they would see some very "interesting" aspects that would give them a clue as to what MS has *already* done.

Add me to the list too... and while they are at it, how about offering a US version of the OS without all of the Explorer and WMP garbage like they are doing now in Europe!

Floppies are history .... if we are moving OSes forward, the use of USB/CD devices is the only way to go.

Heh...haven't had a floppy in years now....don't miss em either.

nother vote for USB / Firewire / something else! :p

If the majority of people would just checkout the PPT they would see some very "interesting" aspects that would give them a clue as to what MS has *already* done.

A link would be nice.

SJConsultant said:
Having people actually read the thread from beginning to end would also be nice since Ranma_Sao posted it on the *first page* of this very same thread. :p
floppystfu.PNG

I think we can all shut the hell up about the F6 floppy thing.

One thing I would love to see is resizeable property windows, like when you right-click and hit properties for a file or directory, or even when working in an MMC and not being able to easily view the 1 hojillion options available under the Server (and Scope!) Options in the DHCP console. Highly aggravating.

Death to the floppy!
I wouldn't pay for Longhorn if they required a floppy from me.
Death to the floppy!

Having people actually read the thread from beginning to end would also be nice since Ranma_Sao posted it on the *first page* of this very same thread.

Thanks for pointing it out to me. I have read the entirety of this thread BTW. I just didn't notice the link at the time I originally read the first page, and since there was no indication as to what it was I didn't bother following it. I forgot it was there by the time it was referrenced.

Empyrean said:
Thanks for pointing it out to me. I have read the entirety of this thread BTW. I just didn't notice the link at the time I originally read the first page, and since there was no indication as to what it was I didn't bother following it. I forgot it was there by the time it was referrenced.
FYI, almost every post of his is worth reading. :p

So beta 1 is out, what do people think about the F6 support? ;)

The irony is I owned testing of this feature, and it was the last feature I had to support before I switched teams. (I spent many 14 hr days testing this and getting it ready for you guys)

Unfortunatly, I couldn't tell you guys that, cause I wasn't allowed to. But Beta 1 is out the door. Please note, I don't own anything to do with it going forward. I work on security now.

FYI - Windows Vista beta 1 is out, already confirmed by an AT member, USB Drives and CD-Roms work.

Ranma_Sao said:
So beta 1 is out, what do people think about the F6 support? ;)

Sorry I raised a ruckus. BrianV had me believing it could be pulled at the drop of a hat. I am on the Beta and the very first thing I did was test that it would get drivers from USB and CD/DVD. Of course I didnt have any drivers to give it, but it did read the drives and look for them.... :)

Your on security now? Lets talk LUA! :)

Beta one automatically makes you administrator and gives you a blank password. I guess we'll see a tighter security setup on Beta2???

Lets start the Vista security thread...

kraemer007 said:
Sorry I raised a ruckus. BrianV had me believing it could be pulled at the drop of a hat. I am on the Beta and the very first thing I did was test that it would get drivers from USB and CD/DVD. Of course I didnt have any drivers to give it, but it did read the drives and look for them.... :)

Your on security now? Lets talk LUA! :)

Beta one automatically makes you administrator and gives you a blank password. I guess we'll see a tighter security setup on Beta2???

Lets start the Vista security thread...
A blank password is more secure on XP forward then a weak password. Why? Because you cannot connect to the machine remotely.

Now if the machine is in a place where physical security matters, then it's a different story. But for home, a blank password is stronger then a weak password.

Back