yet another noob virtualization question

amd_ftw

Weaksauce
hello friendly virtualization experts!

i work in a hospital. i run a personal laptop during my shift connected via ethernet cable onto a secured network. we have public wifi available for patients and their family.

what i want to do is run a vm guest that will can access the public wifi for personal email, browsing, and not be bridged to the host's machine's ethernet connection - 2 separate connections. 1 for host, 1 for guest.

i've fiddled with virtualization at home long ago, but never had a real need for it.

i'm confused to the all the virtualization offerings from vmware and sun.

my processor supports virtualization. can i use the internal wifi adapter, i also have an external usb wifi adapter, and they're both linux compatible.

i know i have the right hardware, i just don't understand the software and the tweaks.

thanks very much for all your replies!

virtual box is a Sun product, not an MS one. MS's offering for desktop is VirtualPC. Shockey is right though, you're looking for platforms that support USB device pass - through. Basically, you map the hardware device to the virtual machine, excluding the host system from accessing the device while the VM is running.

Back