Yate Loons

MrHood22

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Aug 21, 2007
Messages
4,312
I have a few questions about yate loons.

Are they really any good? If so, why?

Why are they so cheap (I bought 3 of them for $9 + shipping)?

Why doesn't newegg sell them if they're so good/popular?


Thanks.
 
They're very good. They're about 10% noisier than the most expensive fans of the same airflow... So, yeah, they're damn good for the price.
 
they are basically the same as nexus real silent (the orange, black/white ) fans that are really quiet and push well.
they are made in china and since they arent rebranded they can be sold cheaper.
i have 3 and they have all lasted me 5 months so far.
 
From what I could gather when I was looking for info on these fans earlier this week is that they are slightly louder than Scythe S-flex flans and because they are sleave bearing instead of ball bearing they will not last as long. Other than that, the amount of air they are supposed to push for the price is excellent.
 
There's also medium and high speed version available (obviously not via Newegg though), that push 70cfm and 88cfm respectively IIRC. And there's also a ball bearing version available too.

[edit] And @ OP, I assume you got them @ jab-tech given the price paid.. There's some controversy as to whether or not they (and everyone but Petra's pretty much) sell fake YL's (there's a thread somewhere on this subject, @ XS maybe) ... Personally, I think it's just crappy QC. But honestly @ ~$3/ea, ~$4.50/ea for blue UV frame/blue LED lit, who friggin' cares? 3-4 (or more) fans for the price of one of the outrageously priced competitors, why not?
 
They are good. I've been using them in all my builds. I'm not a 'high-end' builder but the silence is very important to me.
 
That's a good post kush, I think Petra's is a WC'ers heaven :D

I buy as much as I can from Petra's because they're IMO one friendly online distributer. They're more than willin' to answer any questions, just pick up the phone and call.

They don't make fun of the less knowledgeable newbs (like me) :p

They have some very high quality hardware for purchase :)

And using the genuine Yate Loons 4 fans for less price thing as as example the prices ain't that bad either ;)

OBTW I run two Petra's Yate Loons on both of my MCR220's and I have never had any problem with reliability or noise plus you gets a nifty pen :cool:.

 
I love my orange/black yates. I have the high speed ones, and they are but a whisper compared to antec tri-cools. Heck, for the price, who cares if they are "fake"? As long as they are quiet and move air I'm fine with it.

I got mine for performance-pcs.com
 
I bought some of the blue led medium speed YLs. From my research and what I found on the YL website they don't make a medium in the blue leds, but somehow I can buy them. They may be knock offs, but they are definitely quieter than my Antec Tri-Cool and move more air, and with my fan controller I can make them as quiet as I want. I am definitely happy with my YL(although they are knock offs) purchase.
 
I also ordered from petra's.. i got a shipping tracking number within an hour.. WOW..

I ordered 6 medium speed 120mm's and 1 of them is bad.. the fan vibrates from imbalance it seems.

All 6 fans need 7.8v or more to prevent a light high pitch sound. they're quite up to 10v. then they become noisy due to the air movement. not because of fans.

Yates also have wide fins meaning high pressure rather than CFM. so they're great for radiator's but not great for just moving free air.
 
I also ordered from petra's.. i got a shipping tracking number within an hour.. WOW..

I ordered 6 medium speed 120mm's and 1 of them is bad.. the fan vibrates from imbalance it seems.

All 6 fans need 7.8v or more to prevent a light high pitch sound. they're quite up to 10v. then they become noisy due to the air movement. not because of fans.

Yates also have wide fins meaning high pressure rather than CFM. so they're great for radiator's but not great for just moving free air.


That's good to hear. I was thinking about picking up some Yates from Petra's to replace my stock Lian Li fans. I'm probably going to get the medium speed version and slap them on a fan controller. That way, I can drop them down for browsing the web and stuff but I can still ramp them up to keep things cool while gaming.
 
Back
Top