YAGI on WRT150N

Eulogy

2[H]4U
Ok, so we have a Linksys WRT150N router here at home. We want to shoot the signal roughly 150 yards to our 2nd house.
The normal built-in antennas don't reach that far. They're about 25 yards short.
I have a 13dbi YAGI here, and would like to use it, being directional and all. There's no neighbors for about 1/2 mile, but still would rather not be broadcasting in a rather large radius around.
SO, the antennas on this router aren't like the ones on the b/g radios I used to have; no BNC connectors. So I pulled the AP apart and noticed that they are only single wire antennas. Very odd...
Just for giggles I tried holding a piece of speaker cables from the middle wire of the YAGI's BNC to the solder point in the router that the wire came into from their antennas...
this failed miserably.

So, I'm out of ideas and looking for input....?

The reason your jumper with speaker wire didn't work is because you can't just use any wire laying around to jump the signal. It needs to be coax. :)

The wire antenna you are talking about are common in notebooks and APs without external antennae.

If you are adventurous and have the proper tools, cables, etc. you could make a pig-tail that would go from the yagi to where the internal antennae connect to the pcb in the AP. judging from what you said above this connection will require some soldering. I wouldn't recommend this option, you'll probably just ruin the AP and if you don't already have the tools to build the cables you will spend as much money buying them and the supplies needed as it would cost to just buy the right equipment.

You will need to buy an AP that has the correct connectors or just get a wireless bridge that is designed for what you are trying to do and has the built-in 16dbi antenna. I saw one on Geeks today that was only $119 each. If you can find a buffalo WHR-g54s somewhere that will make an excellent bridge if flashed with dd-wrt firmware.

The reason your jumper with speaker wire didn't work is because you can't just use any wire laying around to jump the signal. It needs to be coax. :)

The wire antenna you are talking about are common in notebooks and APs without external antennae.

If you are adventurous and have the proper tools, cables, etc. you could make a pig-tail that would go from the yagi to where the internal antennae connect to the pcb in the AP. judging from what you said above this connection will require some soldering. I wouldn't recommend this option, you'll probably just ruin the AP and if you don't already have the tools to build the cables you will spend as much money buying them and the supplies needed as it would cost to just buy the right equipment.

You will need to buy an AP that has the correct connectors or just get a wireless bridge that is designed for what you are trying to do and has the built-in 16dbi antenna. I saw one on Geeks today that was only $119 each. If you can find a buffalo WHR-g54s somewhere that will make an excellent bridge if flashed with dd-wrt firmware.

Seriously, I had it completly apart. There's no ground on this APs antenna anywhere at all. It's a single wire:
PCB => solder point to gray wire
Gray wire => runs to push/squeeze (don't know how to describe this. NOT BNC). The gray wire runs through there. This is simply where it goes outside the AP to the plastic housing for the external antenna.
From there => plugs into antenna pivot point, and runs out the other side for about 1.5".
It's nuts. Every other AP I've played with had the standard BNC connector.
I figured since the entire signal path for their own antenna was a single gray wire, my single wire to the antenna would do well enough. Obviously not, but I still don't understand WHY not.
Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's just going to be impossible to put a YAGI on this thing. Cheap POS...

Back