XP2600 in an Asus A7A266 revision 1.04

number69

[H]ard|Gawd
OK, here's the story. Before I bought this XP2600 I emailed Asus Taiwan Tech support and they said an XP2600 266fsb would work in my board as long as i'm using BIOS 1012 and up, i'm running BIOS 1013.001.

Long story short the board doesn't recognize it. When I install it with the mobo set to jumperless mode the max I get is 13x133.And I can't adjust the multiplier in the BIOS because it's greyed out. :rolleyes: They said in jumperless mode it would be recognized as 16x133, no such luck. Anyway, I played with it in jumper mode and set the multiplier via the jumpers to 7x (the board only goes up to 12.5x in jumper mode)which the BIOS bumped to 15x when I went in and checked. Then I tried 8x figuring the board would double this to 16x, no dice. It wouldn't even boot. I got this CPU for really cheap and decided to leave it at 15x133..266...(XP2400).

In the BIOS it's now saying 15x133 1800mhz but also recognizes it as a XP2400. WTF? But when I go into Windows XP it recognizes it as a XP2400 running at 2.00 Ghz. When I check it with WCPUID it also recognizes it as a Xp2400 running at 2 Ghz 15x133 266mhz FSB.

I'm going by what WCPUID and Windows XP tells me since my benches have gone up from my old CPU..XP2000.

This is a old backup rig that I use for BS so i'm not that concerned if it doesn't run as a XP2600.

So am I safe to assume that the CPU is in fact running at 2ghz despite the BIOS saying 1800mhz?

Thanks

I had a board very similar to that. It runs the ALi chipset, right? If I recall, the lower revisions didn't offer mulitplier adjustment. I had an unlocked 1.4 thunderbird, but I could never change the multiplier.

I think cpuZ should show you the speed the processor is operating at.

cpuZ shows it running at 15x133 2ghz 266 FSB. So I guess that's what it's at.

I originally bought that board for it's DDR support. Years later, I was doing some research and found that the memory performance is incrediably bad... about the same or worse than a kt133a board. All that money for DDR ram wasted on a crappy chipset. That was what got me started doing better research and stop listening to market speak.

Yeah it does have shitty memory performance. But it's also not my main rig so I don't care.
It is stable as all hell, at least it has been for me for the past three years.

So I can depend on CPUZ for that reading?

Mine was very reliable as well. I don't see any reason why you can't rely on cpuZ. Are you happy with the performance? If so, I wouldn't worry too much.

Well after f'n around with the jumper in manual mode I find that 8.5 runs the chip at 16.5x133 2.2ghz :) The 7.5 and 8x settings do nothing. 16.5x133 shouldn't be too much for this CPU right? So far it's very stable, no crashes...yet.

Back