XP Wont boot

Disarray

[H]ard|Gawd
I moved my fsb up to 380 mhz and everything works fine. Then I bumped up to 400 MHZ and XP will not boot. Any ideas?

You try upping the vcore at all? Try upping it a little , maybe to 1.7v and see how that works. I ran into that problem a few times , and upping the vcore fixed that fine.

ummm well first off, are you useing the system in you sig, or is it another?

By 380MHz do you mean 160? If you have a 2500+ you shoudl have a 166FSB with some DDR 333 (or 166)

we need more details dude....ill check back in a bit with you

Dude, I have almost the same specs as you and i'm having the exact same problem; here's my theory (I'm noob). When I first used the system I babied the ram which was corsair xms ddr400 and only had it at 333. Now I put ram at 2.9 volts and put it up to 400 (200fsb) and the system boots fine and i got my cpu up to 2200mhz which is pretty simple overclock but everytime I finish posting windows doesn't start and the computer restarts itself. I have a antec 330watt psu and it isn't plugged into much, not sure what my problem is.

-----------
Barton 2500+
Abit nf7-s rev2
512 corsair ddr400 xms
radeon 9700pro
antec 330watts
Danger den maze 4;ehiem pump 1/2 id;heator core radiator
xp home

Originally posted by I(illa Bee

By 380MHz do you mean 160? If you have a 2500+ you shoudl have a 166FSB with some DDR 333 (or 166)

Yes this is the same system as my signature. And yes I am giving you the ddr speed. The system is currently at 190 mhz and when I move up to 200 mhz the machine resets on the boot sequence the first time around. Then when the machine restarts again, windows comes up and says that your system encountered an error with the last start how do you want to boot, safe mode, normal mode ect.....As far as memory goes, the 200 mhz should be within the spec on the 3200 corsair I have.

I know that sometimes running the memory on anything but 6:6 or 3:3 gives problems on Mf7 boards, even thought there in theory able to handle different FSB and memory speeds simultaneously.

Try disabling CPU interface, manually setting the memory timings to 2-3-3-11, run the memory voltage at 2.8v, with all the spread spectrums disabled. Set the FSB to 200, and the multiplier to 10. Man maybe the CPU voltage to 1.85v or something in that range.

*I’m assuming you Barton is unlocked

You might want to check you BIOS version too. I believe the latest is 18D or something….go to MotherboardFAQs for the latest BIOS. There is an Abit program to update you BIOS from windows called Flashmenu, witch can be downloaded here. Despite what people say, the program works great and I have flashed back and forth many times with it without problems. Just set you CPU speeds to default when flashing. Either use the latest BIOS or the 10D BIOS, I like the 10D BIOS myself because I can get to 240FSB with it for benchmarking, and run 235 sync stable.

If and once you get you FSB and memory to 200 you will want to try enabeling CPU interface, it seems to incress bandwith my about 500 on average, but stress the CPU, I need to leave mine off at 235 FSB, but can turn it on at 228.

BTW: What cooling are you useing?

*I’m assuming you Barton is unlocked

BTW: What cooling are you useing?

No my barton is locked and I've got water cooling set up on my CPU and air on everything else. My temp at boot up was 21 celcius and 30 degrees at the end of my session. It doesnt seem to be hardware related because the machine is booting fine. It just runs into the error when loading windows. I'll give the settings a tweek and I know I do not have the current bios. Tried flashing it before unsuccessfully. That was before I heard about the bios protection feature my board has. I will disable that and give it a go.

I upped my CPU voltage to 1.85 and got the machine to boot up. 3dmark03 is running and I will see what it does. Since I'm running my ram at 400 mhz, stock speed, would it make a difference to up the voltage on it or should I wait till I try to pass stock speeds?

cool, so you got it working? 200FSB/200DDR

What did it for you?

About the memory voltage. If your running timings like 2-3-3-11, the stock voltage is ok, but if you want to run the timings tighter like 2-2-2-11, then a little voltage wont hurt for stability. If I were you I would leave it at 200 and run tight timings, since you CPU is locked at 11, you’re soon going to have problems hitting higher FSB because the bartons max MHz will be haunting you. I would expect another 100MHz or so. This is only a 210FSB.

Still good to see a good overclock even on a locked Barton. Dam it AMD that pisses me off, I was going to jump to a 2500+ overclocked as a slight upgrade form my 2.5Ghz 2100+, Before I plunge into the 64-bit world in 8 months or so. But I guess if I have to deal with a locked CPU, I wont.

cool, so you got it working? 200FSB/200DDR

What did it for you?

I ran prime 95 for 2 hours last night with a max temp of 49 celcius and no errors. 3dmark 03 Score with this system before the overclock was 4600 and now with the 200 fsb setting it has gone up to 5000. These number seem awfully low considering what I see surfing around this forum. I've got to figure out what to work on next. Maybe I'll flash my 9800 to 9800 pro. But I would have expected higher numbers with my stock system.

Dude I think you mean 380Mhz or 190Mhz don't you?

Back