XP SP3 Tomorrow?

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
Note: This is a front-page article.

There’s a rumor that MS is rolling out Service Pack 3 for Windows XP as early as tomorrow. All you XP users better make sure you have the latest drivers installed for your stuff or turn off automatic updates so that you’re not surprised by any “undocumented features” introduced by SP3.

According to the file description notes, Microsoft will release the final version of XP SP3 on March 24, but the 5503 test build passes all Windows Genuine Advantage checks and is able to download Windows updates that previous XP SP3 builds weren't able to, which suggests that it could, in fact, be the final RTM build.

When it's ready it will be sent to manufacturers first, like usual, with a month lead before general release. It will be announced when it goes final. Even if this is "final" it's not going to be in WU tomorrow.

When it's ready it will be sent to manufacturers first, like usual, with a month lead before general release. It will be announced when it goes final. Even if this is "final" it's not going to be in WU tomorrow.

No, but it will also be available on Technet, MSDN, and all the P2P networks, so it's definitely there for the enthusiast who knows where to look.

I'll wait for when the update comes from MS :p

I've read up on it and it appears it's just a big pack of updates since after SP2, nothing else really.

Nothing to be excited for really :(

I've read up on it and it appears it's just a big pack of updates since after SP2, nothing else really.
Wherever you read that must be a pretty crummy source. ;) What funny about the sites that posted SP3 info is all seem to stress that reports of "no new features" are wrong.

From the epic 11 page SP3 overview doc:

New and Enhanced Functionality
Table 2 describes some of the more significant changes in Windows XP SP3. With few exceptions, Microsoft is not adding Windows Vista features to Windows XP through SP3. As noted earlier, one exception is the addition of NAP to Windows XP to help organizations running Windows XP to take advantage of new features in Windows Server 2008. For a list of Knowledge Base articles that Windows XP SP3 addresses, see Knowledge Base article 936929.

Table 2. New and Enhanced Functionality

Network
"Black Hole" Router Detection

Windows XP SP3 includes improvements to black hole router detection (detecting routers that are silently discarding packets), turning it on by default.

Network Access Protection (NAP)
NAP is a policy enforcement platform built into Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, and Windows XP SP3 with which you can better protect network assets by enforcing compliance with system health requirements. Using NAP, you can create customized health policies to validate computer health before allowing access or communication; automatically update compliant computers to ensure ongoing compliance; and optionally confine noncompliant computers to a restricted network until they become compliant. For more information about NAP, see Network Access Protection: Frequently Asked Questions.

Security
Descriptive Security Options User Interface

The Security Options control panel in Windows XP SP3 now has more descriptive text to explain settings and prevent incorrect settings configuration. Figure 1 shows an example of this new functionality.

Enhanced security for Administrator and Service policy entries
In System Center Essentials for Windows XP SP3, Administrator and Service entries will be present by default on any new instance of policy. Additionally, the user interface for the Impersonate Client After Authentication user right will not be able to remove these settings.

Microsoft Kernel Mode Cryptographic Module
Microsoft Kernel Mode Cryptographic Module (Fips.sys) is a FIPS 140-1 Level 1–compliant, general purpose, software-based, cryptographic module in the kernel mode level of the Windows operating system. It runs as a kernel mode export driver (a kernel-mode DLL) and encapsulates several different cryptographic algorithms in an easy-to-use cryptographic module accessible by other kernel mode drivers. It can be linked to other kernel mode services to permit the use of FIPS 140-1 Level 1–compliant cryptography. For more information, see the Microsoft Kernel Mode
Functionality Description Cryptographic Module.

Set up
Windows Product Activation

As in Windows Server 2003 SP2 and Windows Vista, users can now complete operating system installation without providing a product key during a full, integrated installation of Windows XP SP3. The operating system will prompt the user for a product key later as part of Genuine Advantage. As with previous service packs, no product key is requested or required when installing Windows XP SP3 using the update package available through Microsoft Update. Note The Windows Product Activation changes in Windows XP SP3 are not related to the Windows Vista Key Management Service (KMS). This update affects only new operating system installations from integrated source media. This update affects the installation media only and is not a change to how activation works in Windows XP.
This is not a complete list of new/enhanced features added to SP3, as mentioned in the underlined part above. For most users these couple of new features are pretty minor. In any case, there is more in SP3 than just SP2 + updates since.

Wherever you read that must be a pretty crummy source. ;) What funny about the sites that posted SP3 info is all seem to stress that reports of "no new features" are wrong.

From the epic 11 page SP3 overview doc:

This is not a complete list of new/enhanced features added to SP3, as mentioned in the underlined part above. For most users these couple of new features are pretty minor. In any case, there is more in SP3 than just SP2 + updates since.

So basically they retro-fitted the myriad of Vista's security fixes back into XP?

YAY now i can do a new nlite install for my eeepc :D

i'm using RC2 right now IIRC. only problem has been sound drivers which i didn't wanna bother with before.

i cant wait for sp3, tired of seeing 98 updates on a fresh install

Yep, I'm also very happy to have an updated nlite install now. Log in for the first time, and 0 updates available. It's awesome :)

guess I'll need to keep an eye out for this. Been running the beta of SP3 on one of my machines without any trouble. Hopefully the final version works the same way.

"No new features" means no new features for the average user like your 48 year old Aunt and Uncle that, to them, wouldn't know what any of the new features would do for them. But for the enlightened of us, some of these features may actually be things that can actually be used. Then again, even then these "new features" don't mean squat to a lot of us.

I worship at the alter of NAP and SMB 2.0

Not much use for the enthusiast but there we go :)

I've been using SP 3 RC and more recently RC2 for a while at work with the new systems rather than downloading all of the individual updates.

One update I did find missing in SP 3 was the US daylight savings patch so get that patch by itself or get the version from intelliadmin.com

Just wait a few hours after SP3, there will be 22 high priority updates to fix the service pack :p :D

i cant wait for sp3, tired of seeing 98 updates on a fresh install

Isn't it over 100 now? All I know is it's ridiculous. Service Packs give you a baseline to know exactly where a machine is standing in terms of "modern-ness". Otherwise, you have no clue.

My main question: Does it run OK? Is this something I could roll out fairly easily (minor changes) or something I'd need to test a little (or alot) first?

I've been running the RC for a little while at work myself. However, I did have some install problems. Resetting all admin privileges in the registry let it install though. So keep that in mind if you have any difficulties when it comes out. Had to use subinacl.exe (a resource kit tool) and tell all registry trees to append the Administrators group to the permissions.

I've been running the RC for a little while at work myself. However, I did have some install problems. Resetting all admin privileges in the registry let it install though. So keep that in mind if you have any difficulties when it comes out. Had to use subinacl.exe (a resource kit tool) and tell all registry trees to append the Administrators group to the permissions.

I'll most definitely install it on my personal machine at work to test it out with our applications and whatnot... just wasn't sure the extent of how I should test it out. I don't expect many issues with it though. Only problem I've ever had with Windows Updates is a driver... Windows Update has a driver for a particular graphics card (Which works fine otherwise), that (without fail) causes BSOD. I think I'm just having Dell send me machines with graphics cards (to support multiple monitors) on everything I buy from now on so I won't have that issue anymore (plus it's easier, and not a ton on cost difference).

According to the release notes, SP3 does not include IE7. So yeah, there is at least one major update left to install, even with a slip streamed SP3. :(

I wonder waht kind of a effect this will have on corporate networks. I mean I would love to slip stream it in, but I wouldn't want to bork something the users need.

According to the release notes, SP3 does not include IE7. So yeah, there is at least one major update left to install, even with a slip streamed SP3. :(
Yeah, but that is still very easy to slipstream into a disk along with SP3.

LOL, not happening. Or I and many others would return from Vista... though I dunno. Vista does seem more responsive and faster than XP... I think hardware accelerated GUI would still keep me using it.

Nonetheless, I think there are some core functions of DX10 that require the new driver model Vista uses.

Only problem I've ever had with Windows Updates is a driver... Windows Update has a driver for a particular graphics card (Which works fine otherwise), that (without fail) causes BSOD. I think I'm just having Dell send me machines with graphics cards (to support multiple monitors) on everything I buy from now on so I won't have that issue anymore (plus it's easier, and not a ton on cost difference).

Dell + WU graphics drivers = crash. That's one of few WU we religiously avoid. Only get em from Dell's site.

I wonder waht kind of a effect this will have on corporate networks. I mean I would love to slip stream it in, but I wouldn't want to bork something the users need.

That is why you do testing before you deploy it to the network.

LOL, not happening. Or I and many others would return from Vista... though I dunno. Vista does seem more responsive and faster than XP... I think hardware accelerated GUI would still keep me using it.

Nonetheless, I think there are some core functions of DX10 that require the new driver model Vista uses.

Odd...After two weeks, I took my new ThinkPad T61 (T8300 CPU, 4GB of RAM, and dedicated graphics) and backed it down from Vista Business to XP pro for the exact opposite reason: Vista was less responsive and slower than XP in pretty much everything I did.

I've had XP back on for two weeks now, and I haven't found an instance in which Vista was faster. When SP3 comes out, I plan to slipstream it, and do a fresh install.

I've been using SP 3 RC and more recently RC2 for a while at work with the new systems rather than downloading all of the individual updates.

One update I did find missing in SP 3 was the US daylight savings patch so get that patch by itself or get the version from intelliadmin.com
yeap, this is what i had to do too!

that's a good thing... not everyone wants IE7 on their computer (ie: ME)

that's a good thing... not everyone wants IE7 on their computer (ie: ME)
I was under the impression IE7 was much more secure than IE6, lots of updates and further support than IE6 is getting. The interface is a little wonky, but I would think for the IE fanactics the additional security would be a plus.

Granted, I don't care either way, quite happy and prefer Firefox.

I was under the impression IE7 was much more secure than IE6, lots of updates and further support than IE6 is getting.
It is, and whether or not you actually use it, it should be installed anyway, as a security update. I use IE7 only, and have no reasons to use anything else, but it should be installed on all XP systems.

IE7...what the hell is that?

Doesn't IE come bundled with AOL discs or Toys-R-Us games?

Back