XP Pro registration question.

Operaghost

[H]ard|Gawd
I finally got a copy of XP Pro. Here is my issue.

I bought it for the new rig I am building. However I thought about installing it on this (old rig) first because it has an old ummm "hand me down" copy of XP pro on it that won't allow me to use windows update, thus it doesn't have SP1.

My question is, how exactly does the CD key/registration work? If I install it on this machine. Does it use the MAC address or something for the registration? So it cannot be installed on another computer? I really am not worried about putting it on this machine, I'm just curious how it works because when I DO install it/register it on my new rig, I want to make sure I don't screw myself over, and get to register my copy properly.

It activates by the hardware in the comp. You will not be able to activate it on the new rig if you activate it on the old one.

BUT, if you try it on the old one and then reformat, you can install it on the new one.

So it can only be on one machine simultaneously. But if I reformat I can install the same registered copy to another machine?

yes but you will have to call up ms and tell em yer usin it on another machine now.

Back