XP: Oem vs. Retail

jedirye

Gawd
What, preytell, is the difference? I was under the assumption you pay more with retail for the fancy box. I want to be able to install, reformat, etc. as many times as I'd like. Would OEM suit me just well?

-rye

OEM=no support, limited license.
Sticky link.

Retail=limited support, unlimited single use license.

If you plan on changing out motherboards, and using the same license, buy retail.

For hardware, your generally correct. OEM is the same part, just without the fancy box and/or software bundle.

For the OS, the licensing changes. A retail version can be installed on any PC, and then later re-installed on a different PC, such as if you upgraded to a new PC.

OEM generally means it's tied to the one machine it's installed on first, and can't be transferred to another machine.

Either option can only be installed on one PC at one time.

Wow, how many times a day can we get this question.. We need to be able to reference the sticky and then lock the thread... ARRRGGHHHHH...

Nothing personal to the threadstarter but its getting kinda ridiculous

^
Took you more time typing that when you could just be crying over spilled milk... Oh wait, you are. Nothing personal to the replier ;)

Well then, I freaking need retail. I dodged a bullet there, eh?

-rye

Yeah retail is a must if youre chaging mobos every now and then.

Actually, from the people I've talked to, they say OEM is the same, you just have to call to activate. To be honest, I recall having to do that when changing from socket A to 939 and I believe my copy was OEM. hah

-rye

You would be breaking the EULA if I recall correctly, can anyone confirm this ?

jedirye said:
Actually, from the people I've talked to, they say OEM is the same, you just have to call to activate. To be honest, I recall having to do that when changing from socket A to 939 and I believe my copy was OEM. hah

-rye

Juic3 said:
You would be breaking the EULA if I recall correctly, can anyone confirm this ?
Correct. Did anyone click the link I provided? :(

Back