XP Install Bugging Out

legendz411

2[H]4U
So this PC had a fresh format and XP x86 installed. It worked fine for about 5days. Nothing major - nor alot has been installed on it.

Fast forward to today... Now when you load up windows you get in and have NO task bar, (start button, clock, etc...) and you can not access the control panel. Also, right click doesn't bring up the mini-menu.

Ctrl + Alt + Del still works, and you can launch programs from here successfully.

First thing that came to my mind was:
a) Corrupted install
b) Broken Shell
c) Hacked pc

Any ideas? Helpz?

And you had all the updates installed? Firewall (soft or hard)? Anyone else have access to the PC?

Launch explorer.exe and see if you can get your task bar etc back.
It will be good to know if it can still function ok, then we can find why it isnt starting.

You could try a clean install again. What's your process list look like? Did you install from the official disc or maybe a slipstreamed/unattended install?

How soon after the install did you connect to the Internet?

And you had all the updates installed? Firewall (soft or hard)? Anyone else have access to the PC?

Yes. Hardware firewall, (router) + Windoes firewall (Software) - This is during the repair while it is under our control.
Not during repair, no, noone had access besides tech. After, yes. Windows firewall was *most likely* the only firewall solution running.

Launch explorer.exe and see if you can get your task bar etc back.
It will be good to know if it can still function ok, then we can find why it isnt starting.

explore.exe runs on boot, (AFAIK) no task bar. Programs can still run, if ran through task manager.

You could try a clean install again. What's your process list look like? Did you install from the official disc or maybe a slipstreamed/unattended install?

How soon after the install did you connect to the Internet?

Official, clean XP disk. I keep all my, (I make them myself) slipstreamed/UA disks to myself and my dad. PC was hooked up on first boot to the web. Start the updates ASAP. Clean install is last resort. I'll see if I can get a process list.

I vaguely remember something like this happening to me. I couldn't get it solved so I ended up nuking the whole thing.

Kill explorer.exe and restart it.
It shouldnt open an explorer window, it should give you the task bar.

Can you try logging in as administrator and see if the same things happen?

Back