XP / 98 Confussion

eulle

n00b
I have a laptop that i installed XP pro on about 2 months ago. it was upgraded from windows 98. Now i have the probelm that it won't boot up properly. when it does it just has a blinking cursor in the top left.. now when i pop in the windows xp disc that i used to install xp, i get a windos 98 startup menu. it says to use command prompt and run scanreg, but i can't seem to be able to do that.. and when i go to safe mode it lists that the files himen.sys, dblbuff,sys and ifshlp.sys can not be found. i'm simply looking to save one file off of this hard drive before i scratch it.. any help would be greatly appreaciated thanks.

In the future, don't upgrade an older OS...always do a fresh install. But, what was suggested above should work.

when i pop in the xp cd and use it, it says "searching for hardware configuration.. " and the screen goes black and won't go past that, and into the repair options like it should. any other ideas?

seems like a hardware issue... please post more info about the laptop, make, model, specs

Back