Xonar D2X vs. Xonar D2

Carlin

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 5, 2008
Messages
1,706
Hi Hard,

Does the Asus Xonar d2x warrant a $50 price overage over the Xonar D2?
 
There definitely shouldn't be that big price difference between those two specific models. :eek: Between DX and D2X (or D1 and D2) - yeah - but not between D2X and D2.

Xonar D1 and DX are the "standard" cards. D1 is for PCI and DX for PCI Express.
Xonar D2 and D2X are "higher end" cards with some hardware improvements. D2 is for PCI and D2X for PCI Express.

The major differences between "standard" and "higher end" features can be found here:
http://techreport.com/articles.x/14500

If you are going to use the card with a computer speaker set, I'd definitely pick up the cheaper one, since sound quality advantage with those improved dacs won't do much in that case. With high quality headphones or good speaker+amp set you might find the higher end card well worth the price difference.
 
Thanks for your reply. I'll be using it with my ATH-AD700s headphones and maybe get z5500 or some cheap studio monitor speakers in a few months.
 
D2 and D2X also have a good quality headphone amp on front out - don't know if D1 and DX have it too. That might be an useful feature if you don't have a separate headphone amplifier. Xonar's headphone amp drives my HD-650 easily and sounds quite a lot better than the headphone out in my AV receiver.
 
Just wanted to let everyone know I got the open box asus xonar d2x from newegg for like $115 shipped.

I am more happy buying the soundcard then I was building my first computer, just to let y'all know how awesome it is. I can't believe I've lived without a sound card before.
 
Back
Top