XFX 780i motherboard

Who here has a XFX 780i motherboard or previously had one and whats your opinions about it?

To me, this motherboard was a disaster. Not to mention it was expensive - thanks to NVIDIA (I suppose) and the performance wasn't even great. For instance, booting into Windows would take forever, it would take like over 2 minutes just to load all the services = which is too long. I also encountered annoying burning errors with AnyDVD turned on, turning it off would help but I need it running in the background.

Glad I got a Gigabyte EP45 motherboard and it works great, and its faster too. And not to mention I did not encounter any of these problems with this motherboard compared to the XFX one.

Sorry I just had to rant and I want to hear your opinions too.

I'd stay away from anything that is ddr2 + ddr3. 790i works great for me.

Had corruption issues twice with two xfx 780i boards so I got rid of it and am happily using a evga 750i now.

I'd stay away from anything that is ddr2 + ddr3. 790i works great for me.

My XFX 780i only supports DDR2.

Glad I'm getting rid of this board soon, going to sell it soon and I couldn't be happier with my EP45 and 750a board (I have two computers). Gigabyte rules the motherboard industry (For me)

The 780i mcp/spp with triple x16 slots is a hack of the 680i with the nforce 200 chip for the add'l 16x slot. The 790i is a clean new design.

I bought an XFX 780i MB in Late January to replace an Abit 680i, owned for some three months, I didn't want to give up on SLI with two GeForce 8800GTSs. The 680i was just horrible, never worked right for any length of time, but I have discovered some mistakes in its use, while running the 780i.
The 780i on BIOS P04 would suddenly snap and reboot, leaving hard drive errors. One time the HD errors forced me to do a new install of the OS. BIOS P05 had the same snaps, no HD errors, but hardware drivers, especially the video, needed to be installed over and over. Now, BIOS P05 is not displayed in XFX's website. Then with BIOS P06 I found I had used SLi Memory option wrong, previously. I used 4X1 Gig.s RAM, limited to 2X1 Gig.s no source, ads, , MB box or owners manual related this restriction, just NVidia website. This BIOS has my system freeze, nothing works, the cursor won't move, have to press reset button to correct. This week attempted install of new NVidia MB drivers and it somehow bombed and left my OS unusable. So, another OS install and days of installing, setting up my software and configuring all lays ahead. As you can imagine I have such a regard for NVidia 600 and 700 motherboards. I may soon kiss off the 780i and the second Geforce 8800GTS and go Intel. My hope is, that NVidia loses, lots of customers like me and gets taken over by the likes of Intel.

And one thing I was not happy with my XFX motherboard that is I have 4 gig installed. I understand that if you use a 32 bit OS it will not read the whole 4GB, most likely at 3 GB or more. Unfortunately, installing a 32 bit OS could only read like 2.75GB. WTF? My Gigabyte motherboard can address up to at least 3.5GB in a 32 bit OS.

And I hate the XFX support too, it was a pain in the ass for me to get updated drivers. Can't they let everybody get it instead of having to register, and type in your serial number that came with an XFX product? Argh. Never again I will use XFX. Can't say about the other NForce boards though.

And one thing I was not happy with my XFX motherboard that is I have 4 gig installed. I understand that if you use a 32 bit OS it will not read the whole 4GB, most likely at 3 GB or more. Unfortunately, installing a 32 bit OS could only read like 2.75GB. WTF? My Gigabyte motherboard can address up to at least 3.5GB in a 32 bit OS.

This is an OS issue, so please spout off on this. This has been documented a lot, please research.

And I hate the XFX support too, it was a pain in the ass for me to get updated drivers. Can't they let everybody get it instead of having to register, and type in your serial number that came with an XFX product? Argh. Never again I will use XFX. Can't say about the other NForce boards though.

It's a reference board so Nv site will do just fine for drivers and bios. There is no need to go specifically to xfx.

Um xfx bases their designs off of nvidia's reference design as most other manufacturers do. A 32bit os will always show less than 4gb always 100%.

I got a 680i 32bit (w/ 4gb of ram) windows uh oh I got 2.75gb of available ram. Its because the other stuff on my mobo needs addressing space then whatever is left over is then available for ram.

780i can be thought of a 680i with increased 45nm quad core support.

All it takes is one bad device to render an entire motherboard useless i.e. one bad stick of ram uh oh bsod, one psu with a rail that instead of 3.3v its running 2.1v, etc...

i had an evga 780i board for a while. it ran great without issue. i sold it and went to an x48 board when i discovered that it had an fsb wall with the q9450. after being very disappointed in the 2 or 3 q9450's i had, i now wish i had kept the 780i. ps i also had great experience with the evga 680i board i had. and am running an nvidia 750i sli board in my secondary system. i am running crossfire now but i am sure i will be back to sli within a year or less, so i will be buying another nvidia chipset board.

Back