Xbox 360 IPTV

HardOCP News

[H] News
Engadget talks a little bit about the Xbox 360 IPTV announcement that came out of Microsoft at CES. Personally, I like the streaming TV idea with the ability to download content in the background.

Robbie Bach gave a sneak peek at a new service called IPTV on Xbox 360. Like we guessed, the service will offer live streaming broadcasts, and do stuff like let you play a game on Xbox Live while recording a show in the background.

IPTV is defnitley the wave of the future, Microsoft pulled into the fast lane with this one by jumping onto the bus early. I think it's going to be an excellent move on their behalf.

Now if only our poor internet connections could catch up :(

You are 100% right.

I think all the next gen consoles should go this route, I think Sony would do have the upper hand here if they got in on the IPTV deal because they have all the movie / TV / music licenses already.

You are 100% right.

I think all the next gen consoles should go this route, I think Sony would do have the upper hand here if they got in on the IPTV deal because they have all the movie / TV / music licenses already.

Yeah I think you are right.

Even so, part of the reason I got my XBox 360 was for the media center features they can do. The Video Marketplace idea rocks, and I hope to start using that soon.

So is this going to offer TV stations or specially made stations since this is web based?

So is this going to offer TV stations or specially made stations since this is web based?
From the engadget link "programming will be from providers who are already offering services based on Microsoft TV IPTV." There's two current providers that I know of, one is itvn, which offers starz, some sports channels and adult stuff, and another one that I can't remember but has a plugin to enable integration with windows MCE. i don't think you'll see your local channels (cbs, abc etc) for some time, but scifi, espn etc is a possibility.

Will this work on my month old 360, Or will I be forced to buy the newer version for IPTV? :confused:

Back