Xbox 360 Achievement Score Update

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you are one of the people that like to crank up your gamers score by earning every achievement possible, this update at Gamerscoreblog might be of interest to you. Microsoft has revamped the gamers score system a bit raising the 1,000 point per game limit to 1,250 and up to 250 for XBL titles. Hit the link for all the details.

With the ever increasing craze and excitement around Gamerscore and Achievements, we have recently worked with our publishing partners to implement some new policies for new games coming out.

I thought 1000 points per game was perfect. This change wasn't necessary IMHO.

Joystiq said:
Microsoft has revised its Xbox 360 Achievements rule book, agreeing to allow publishers to add an additional 250 Gamerscore points to disc-based games through add-on content. The content could be either free or paid. Xbox Live Arcade games can also receive a boost, as publishers are now allowed to add 50 additional points (to the required 200) via downloadable content, which could be similarly free or paid.

Each disc-based game must include 1,000 points that are accessible for free (excluding price paid to obtain game), but not necessarily included on the game disc; Crackdown, for example, will only ship with 900 unlockable points, while the remaining 100 will arrive built into a free content update. Microsoft admits that there have been "inconsistencies" in the past, but hopes that the new, supposedly clear policy will regulate publisher's Achievements.

Something tells me that 'paid' is going to be more common than the 'free.' This gives company's another chance to dip deeper into the hearts of gamers who want those gamerscore points.. $69.99 for a game, plus an extra few bucks to increase my score? Yikes.

Sounds like the extra 250 was added so that downloaded content could have its own points.

i think its crap - just another way to get a few extra dollars for nothing. I'm not addicted to gamerscores but 1000 points per game was perfect. now they go and ass it all up.

I thought 1000 points per game was perfect. This change wasn't necessary IMHO.

Something tells me that 'paid' is going to be more common than the 'free.' This gives company's another chance to dip deeper into the hearts of gamers who want those gamerscore points.. $69.99 for a game, plus an extra few bucks to increase my score? Yikes.

More like $59.99 for a game, generally only special versions, such as "Collector's Editions" are priced at $69.99.

This was done to allow downloadable content to be more compelling. Obviously some game developers will use this as a way to generate more revenue, but as always you are free to speak with your wallet.

Back