X99 PC Issue. Cast your bets.

Archaea

[H]F Junkie
interesting thing happened this weekend to my main rig.

Works normally. I power it down normally like always. Later that day I go to power it up and the fans all come on 100%, (case fans, AIO CPU radiator Pump, and graphics card) but the motherboard is completely dark (No RGB lighting at all) and I get no signal to my monitor.

I figure my RAM probably died. I pull all four sticks and hook up the little 4 pin motherboard speaker so I can listen for beep codes. I turn it back on sans RAM and it does the exact same fan and light thing, but no beep codes from the little speaker. The motherboard is still completely dark.

Another curiosity is that it won’t turn off. I push the power button on the front of the case and it just resets for a brief second and then fires back up again. No beeps. Fans at 100% and loud.

My guess is bad motherboard now.

What’s your guess?

I7 6850K @4.3GHz watercooled, (2017)
Gigabyte x99 Ultimate Gaming, (2017)
16GB DDR4 2400Mhz, (2017)
EVGA 2080, (2019)
Samsung 960 EVO NVME, (2017)
Corsair RM10000X PSU (2017)

Sorry for the duplicate threads. I was posting from my mobile phone and something must have gone wrong.

Power supply flaking out or flaked out, or as you stated the motherboard.

Try resetting the cmos battery or just clearing the bios.

No beep code whatsoever means cpu or motherboard is dead.

Could just be a loose ATX power supply connection?

So strange. I don't know what it was - but it's working again.

I started by unplugging all the RAM, no beeps same behavior
Then I pulled the 2080 video card, no beeps same behavior
I then reset the CMOS, no beeps same behavior
I then pulled the CMOS battery, at which point the motherboard came back on when power was applied and I then heard the standard no system RAM beeps, and the RGB lighting in the motherboard came back on indicating the motherboard had power.
I plugged the RAM back in one stick at a time, rebooting to windows in between each stick insertion to make sure it all worked — and it did... (all 4 sticks).
The PC is running again like nothing ever happened.

I lowered my overclock to 4.0Ghz, in case that was the issue, but I've had the 4.3Ghz overclock on this chip for like six months. Not sure what else it could be? I've made no other system changes whatsoever since I got the 2080 a few months back.

I really thought something was dead. Maybe something is dying - I guess time will tell.

Last edited:
I had a similar experience a while ago actually. Thought my Asus hero z87 had died under very similar circumstances. I ran with s spare z97 for a few months, and then tried the Hero again for the sake of it and it just worked!

I think there's something modern motherboards are saving, like memory training or some such, that gets saved even after a cmos reset. You need to take the battery out to truly reset.

Yeah, yanking the CMOS battery has def resolved issues for me in the past..

yup, replace your cmos battery. people think im crazy but ive seen it cause issues plenty of times. have a z97 based system here that did the same thing.

Back