x800xl Temps/Cooling...

Actuary

2[H]4U
Joined
Feb 8, 2005
Messages
2,468
Hey all, my x800xl idles around 46C and under load it goes up as high as 75C. I'm using ATItool to regulate the fan speed at different temps. Anyway, would it be worth it to take off the stock cooler, apply some AS5, and reapply? How much of a difference in temps might I notice? Or, would I be better served spending $40ish on an Arctic Cooling Silencer?
Note: Card O/C'd to 410/520 using ATITool
 
joeshmo1985 said:
Hey all, my x800xl idles around 46C and under load it goes up as high as 75C. I'm using ATItool to regulate the fan speed at different temps. Anyway, would it be worth it to take off the stock cooler, apply some AS5, and reapply? How much of a difference in temps might I notice? Or, would I be better served spending $40ish on an Arctic Cooling Silencer?
Note: Card O/C'd to 410/520 using ATITool

46 and 75 are good temps already for that card. Ati has always done a good job with their cooling.. It would make a difference, but I wouldnt think it would be worth it unless you are going to do some major overclocking.
 
I have Gigabyte X800XL - with passive cooling via two heatpipes and massive heatsinks. Temperatures are well higher than yours, but it runs beatifully.

Don't sweat it.
 
Only reason I was asking was because I tried to overclock it further, but the temps hit 76-77 and it generate an error/artifact when i ran ATITool's "check for artifacts" test.
 
joeshmo1985 said:
Only reason I was asking was because I tried to overclock it further, but the temps hit 76-77 and it generate an error/artifact when i ran ATITool's "check for artifacts" test.

Its is a card that is made by ati or another brand? I have overclocked an x800xl with no hitch.
 
No it's actually made by ATI. Compusa had a sale a while back so I picked it up. It's PCI-E, in case I forgot to mention.
 
My X800XL idles at 42C and gets to 66 under load, using the stock MSI cooler. The fan kicks in at full speed once it hits 70. Admittedly, this was on an open-air testbed.
 
Yeah, I'll probably get a silencer eventually, maybe when I have a little more money. I'm a little nervous about taking the stock cooler off and putting the new one on. Then again, I was nervous about building my computer and that was a piece of cake. Hopefully when I decide to do it it'll be nice and easy.
 
joeshmo1985 said:
Yeah, I'll probably get a silencer eventually, maybe when I have a little more money. I'm a little nervous about taking the stock cooler off and putting the new one on. Then again, I was nervous about building my computer and that was a piece of cake. Hopefully when I decide to do it it'll be nice and easy.

Its actually really easy.. just take your time and read the instructions.
 
Back
Top