X79 Raid Issue

Master_Pain

Supreme [H]ardness
Posting this here since it wasn't being seen in Intel Motherboards.

So I just got a Sabertooth X79, and I figured I would raid a couple of velociraptors for shits and giggles for Steam games.

Anyway, so I threw the SATA ports into RAID mode in the bios, which it seems is an all or nothing type deal. I created the raid array, booted into Windows, formatted the array, then noticed my two storage drives had disappeared. Put the SATA ports back into AHCI, storage drives reappear in Windows, raid array doesn't really work then...

So anyway, anyone want to talk me through what I am doing wrong?

Port configuration:
Brown- 2 600gb Velociraptors
Black- Samsung 2tb, WD 4tb, DVDRom
White- OCZ 60gb(boot), Samsung 840 Pro

I also had a problem with my X79 board not seeing some hard drives. The way I managed to fix this was to insert some of the disks that came with the motherboard and install random drivers until the drives appeared. (I had to choose drivers at random because there were a bazillion SATA-related drivers on the disks...)

So maybe you need to install a RAID driver?

That's how I fixed it. Not a great solution, but hey...

I have not as yet finished my X79 rig but in the past I have just connected the RAID drives and configured them and then once the OS is up and running I then connected my storage drive.

The brown and black ports are Intel chipset. The gray (white) port is Marvell.

When you enable the Intel RAID and create the array, you're enabling RAID on the two VR's. What you probably need to do is in the RAID menu set each of the storage drives as JBOD or RAID 0 (each one, not together). You can install the Intel RST program and see if you can enable them in that as well.

Also, I would not have your boot drive connected to the Marvell port since those ports are very under performing. It's kinda late now, but I'd have the SSD on the Brown (Intel Sata 6) port, the two raid 0 drives on a black port, and the two storage drives on the black or brown port (since simple storage isn't as important).

Back