X299 future?

tangoseal

[H]F Junkie
What is the future of x299? I mean for real? I have a $489 Prime Deluxe board. I hear x299 might be a corpse already with x399 replacing it. I might be do e with Intel for good of they cancel a premium chipset after one fucking generation.

It's happened before. Premium or not, this is common practice.

Do you remember the days when a chipset was released once every 3-4 years? Those days are long gone.

Anyone who bought this with their eyes open knew they were getting a turd that was polished at the last minute.

If X299 was a 1 CPU generation platform this will officially be the end of Intel builds for me. No more...

Last edited:
If X299 was a 1 CPU generation platform this will officially be the end of Intel builds for me. No more...
I am right there with you.

AMD has essentially nearly caught up with Intel in performance and I only see it getting better from here.

Why does it freaking matter? A 7820x or better is going to still be a damn good CPU for several generations. Upgrading to a coffee lake 2066 cpu would be such a minor upgrade that won't be worth the $600+ cpu. I just built a x299 system with a 7820x with no regrets. This country will easily last me 5 years. By then it be time for a new platform upgrade anyway. I didn't even need to upgrade from my 4770k system cause that still handle everything fine. I only jumped on the 7820x cause I got it for $380. I know it is the cool thing right now is to hate on intel but be real guys. CPUs haven't advanced much from either side in years.

Last edited:
Nobody seems to know what the hell Intel is doing now other than snatching up the talent, and good on them for that.

Icelake (10nm+) is so far away now nobody is even talking about it.
CNL(10nm) looks to be coming to the desktop now under Z390 which will make this Skylake version 4.0
Intel is releasing X-399 for the HEDT market. This doesn't give alot of confidence to potential X-299 owners as it is looking uncertain if they will have an upgrade path. (Z170-type hacks not withstanding)
TR+ will release long before CNLx / CFLx / Cascade Lake / Whateverthehell
Spectre/meltdown gave them a nice kick in the balls - fixes and lawsuits.

If I'm cautiously optimistic x399 might be backwards compatible with x299 (z270 was with z170) but not sure what they would add other then the skylake refresh with soldered dies as was leaked somewhere, they already did Kaby lake (well kinda with the quad cores anyways), there is coffee lake but the mainstream parts only just came out so that would only be in a year give or take.

Don't see myself paying 500-600€ for another 8 core with a couple hundred more mhz max to replace my current one. Mine should still kick enough ass in games/multitasking for the forseeable future.

And worst case scenario I can still upgrade my backup machine which has currently an 1500x to a zen 2 CPU.

Well my 7820x is still a monster 8 core. So it's good for years to come. But options would be nice. It would suck to have a dead end platform is all I was saying.

I'm very hopeful for Zen 2 in 2019.

Last edited:
I'm optimistic we'll get a few generations of cpu upgrades on x299. Intel has to know it would piss alot of people off and lose customers if x299 had no upgrade path. AMD is a big competitor now so Intel needs to be careful and not lose more market share by making stupid decisions. I mean, what would change on x399 that would be incompatible on x299?

I'm optimistic we'll get a few generations of cpu upgrades on x299. Intel has to know it would piss alot of people off and lose customers if x299 had no upgrade path. AMD is a big competitor now so Intel needs to be careful and not lose more market share by making stupid decisions. I mean, what would change on x399 that would be incompatible on x299?

The bios. :D

How do you get that x299 is eol'ed from that article? It's only talking about Kaby Lake X.

Because Kaby Lake X is only on the X299 platform? With the X399 platform coming soon.....Well you get the picture.

Because Kaby Lake X is only on the X299 platform? With the X399 platform coming soon.....Well you get the picture.
That's quite a leap. There is still a skylake-x refresh expected for Q418 or Q119, there is no reason to think that won't work with X299.

Kaby Lake X was EOL-d because nobody in their right mind purchased it, or taken it seriously. Including MB manufacturers.

That's quite a leap. There is still a skylake-x refresh expected for Q418 or Q119, there is no reason to think that won't work with X299.

Kaby Lake X was EOL-d because nobody in their right mind purchased it, or taken it seriously. Including MB manufacturers.

You really think that Intel wont make people have to buy the new X399 chipset? Did you not see what happened to Z170 to Z270? Intel is in the business of fucking consumers over and making profit. Just my 0.02c

What is the future of x299? I mean for real? I have a $489 Prime Deluxe board. I hear x299 might be a corpse already with x399 replacing it. I might be do e with Intel for good of they cancel a premium chipset after one fucking generation.

I was actually googling "the future of x299" and funny thing, I came across this thread. From everything I know and learned, and given Intel's history, X299 has no future beyond the current Skylake-X CPUs. I mean Intel could show good will and give us new 10nm CPUs on socket 2066, however, knowing Intel, I doubt it. AMD and Intel have different approaches to making a profit. AMD would rather sell you an upgrade path where you will buy a new CPU every couple of years, where Intel wants to sell you a new platform in the same amount of time. That's because AMD is not focused on making money from their chipsets, as most of the functionality has been moved to the CPU. So, if you're building a new system and you want to be able to double your cores once or twice using the same motherboard, then AMD X399 or X470 is the way to go.

A borderline necro thread but I have long since sold my x399. I miss avx512 but love my 2950x. At least I have another upgrade path or two with x399.

A borderline necro thread but I have long since sold my x399. I miss avx512 but love my 2950x. At least I have another upgrade path or two with x399.

I think you meant you sold your X299 :) Anyway, why do you miss AVX512? Where were you using those instructions?

Which X399 board did you get?

I have a Z77 board, still has the same CPU it started with. Z79 board, same. X99, same. Z170, same. Z270, same. I kinda doubt I'll ever be looking for an upgrade CPU for X299, either. I'm way more inclined to just build a whole new rig, but I do see why a CPU upgrade path would be a selling point to others. I just like building computers, I guess.

I have a Z77 board, still has the same CPU it started with. Z79 board, same. X99, same. Z170, same. Z270, same. I kinda doubt I'll ever be looking for an upgrade CPU for X299, either. I'm way more inclined to just build a whole new rig, but I do see why a CPU upgrade path would be a selling point to others. I just like building computers, I guess.

I've only ever upgraded my processor once. New boards come with new features. At least with me I'm more likely to replace the mobo and processor at the same time.

I've only ever upgraded my processor once. New boards come with new features. At least with me I'm more likely to replace the mobo and processor at the same time.

I completely agree that upgrading a CPU for small incremental performance is pointless, and for more than a decade Intel has conditioned us to think so. I like building new systems as well. But if I can go in August or September this year from a 1950X to a 7nm 32 core Zen 2 CPU that has a similar power envelope and without the growing pains of the 2990WX (Infinity Fabric at half speed, huge memory latency, Windows scheduler issues, etc.) then I'm all for it. Upgrades like that are a completely different beast and absolutely worth it.

I think you meant you sold your X299 :) Anyway, why do you miss AVX512? Where were you using those instructions?

Which X399 board did you get?

I used it for hevc encoding but not as much as I could have. The 7820x was also a very nice gaming chip as well.

As far as my 2950x AMD I am going to sit on this chip for a while. Its so fast for the multitasking work I do I cant imaging anything for the price replacing this monster.

I used it for hevc encoding but not as much as I could have. The 7820x was also a very nice gaming chip as well.

As far as my 2950x AMD I am going to sit on this chip for a while. Its so fast for the multitasking work I do I cant imaging anything for the price replacing this monster.

Just curious, which X399 motherboard are you running? It's missing from your signature :)

Back