X1600 vs 4250

YamahaAlex37

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Messages
1,775
I have an older laptop with a C2D T5500 1.66GHz and X1600 128MB Dedicated, and I am wondering if a newer laptop with AMD V140 2.4GHz and 4250 would be worth the extra battery life and DX10?

I will be using the laptop for some gaming (low-medium), video editing, photoshop, level design and 3d modeling (mostly work in source engine). Thanks!
 
Ya I've seen notebookcheck, and they score almost identical, except the 4250 was tested with Vantage and the X1600 wasn't. I've heard notebookcheck wasn't the most reliable sometimes so I was hoping for some real world experience here.
 
They are close but on different features.

4250 is onboard.
It has newer features (that its probably not powerful enough to use).
1080p playback with HDCP
512mb of memory, but is shared. (good enough for laptop resolutions)

x1600 is a dedicated card.
It has fewer features (no 1080 playback, might struggle with 720 even).
BUT has more raw horsepower for older games, might trade blows on newer games.
256mb of memory will struggle on newer games.


http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html
Notebook check isn't a very reliable source, but if you just look at this comparison as a whole it will give you a better idea.

If I had to choose one, I would go for the 4250 HANDS DOWN.
Newer gpu = Newer cpu, faster memory, better chipset. Anything running with an x1600 is ancient now, including the slow ddr memory.
 
For that price it may be worth a shot.
 
Back
Top