X-conect 500W suggestions

Goodyear

n00b
hi, i saw that many ppl dont like this PSU, i got one and runs awesome and looks nice, anyone know why ppl dont like it ?

If you have one and it runs awesome, don't worry about it. ;)

Most accounts are from people with friends that had cousins that had neighbors with brothers that had one that died.

But seriously.... it's luck of the draw because the 115/230V non-APFC model was made by Youngyear and that's a company that is really hit or miss with quality control. Might have 1000 that are good... and then another 1000 that die. Same company builds for Rosewill and Aspire.

But really, if you have one that works, count your blessings and drudge forward. Otherwise, wait for it to quit and buy something else. :D

jonnyGURU said:
If you have one and it runs awesome, don't worry about it. ;)

Most accounts are from people with friends that had cousins that had neighbors with brothers that had one that died.

But seriously.... it's luck of the draw because the 115/230V non-APFC model was made by Youngyear and that's a company that is really hit or miss with quality control. Might have 1000 that are good... and then another 1000 that die. Same company builds for Rosewill and Aspire.

But really, if you have one that works, count your blessings and drudge forward. Otherwise, wait for it to quit and buy something else. :D

Youngyear? are they dropping Wintech for future supplies? The X-Finity is a Wintech right?

dBTelos said:
Youngyear? are they dropping Wintech for future supplies? The X-Finity is a Wintech right?

What?!?!! I said "WAS". Not "IS". ;) :D

Remember, this is a product that hasn't been manufactured in over a year!

All Ultra's are Wintech except the non-PFC 115/230V X-Connects.

Ultra has always used Wintech, but when they came out with the modular power supply idea, everyone thought they were out of their skulls. Youngyear was the only factory that was willing to produce the product for them. After the idea took off and everyone saw that modular power supplies do in fact have a market, Wintech had a change of heart. So all of the APFC units were made by Wintech and the X2 is made by Wintech.

The reason I don't like them is because..

- I had the X-connect 500w, picked it up for $9 at microcenter on sale, put it in my computer and it worked for 3-4 days before just crapping out and not working anymore. My graphics card kept saying insufficient power or power not plugged in. I guess a 12v rail died.

- Then, I purchased a 500w X-finity thinking the x-connect was just a fluke. Picked up the x-finity for $19 or something. Then, after a week, it actually "melted" inside. Luckily it didn't ruin any hardware. But it did smell pretty bad so I had to throw it away.

I stuck in the OCZ Powerstream 520w, and I've been happy since.
(this was all for my 754 rig)

w1retap said:

- I had the X-connect 500w, picked it up for $9 at microcenter on sale, put it in my computer and it worked for 3-4 days before just crapping out and not working anymore. My graphics card kept saying insufficient power or power not plugged in. I guess a 12v rail died.

- Then, I purchased a 500w X-finity thinking the x-connect was just a fluke. Picked up the x-finity for $19 or something. Then, after a week, it actually "melted" inside. Luckily it didn't ruin any hardware. But it did smell pretty bad so I had to throw it away.

I would rather have a 500W X-Finity then a OCZ Powerstream.

w1retap said:

Well, that's two different power supplies from two different factories with two different problems. ;)

What was the melting in the X-Finity? Did the fan seize up?

dBTelos said:
lol, oh snap! thats quote worty. :p

and no.. the caps melted/burned. I didn't take it apart. I just looked in through the back. The fan was still functional.

w1retap said:
lol, oh snap! thats quote worty. :p

and no.. the caps melted/burned. I didn't take it apart. I just looked in through the back. The fan was still functional.

Quote worthy? how so.

w1retap said:
and no.. the caps melted/burned.

You still have it? I would have to see that for myself.

Caps don't "melt" and if they burn, then the whole PSU's on fire. If you just saw "goop" then it was probably the caulk they use to dampen vibration on the PCB.

dBTelos said:

OK, that's it... I can't stand it anymore.

You keep popping your head into these threads and tossing snide little OCZ GameXtreme / FSP Epsilon insults without providing so much as a hint of WHY. Without some factual information or even SOME sort of experience to back your statements up, they are tantemount to meaningless blathering and should not be taken into consideration. So what's the problem? Did OCZ or FSP rape your dog or something?

The FSP Epsilon isn't as good as it could have been (re: 12v ripple at high loads), but it's no slouch either and you would have a hard time convincing me that an Ultra 500w X-Finity would be a better unit.

I threw that one away as stated in my first post because it was smelling up my house. I still have my X-connect though.

edit: it wasn't the 'goop' I know what that looks like. It looked like the melted plastic coating junk that they wrap caps in.

Blue Falcon said:

You keep popping your head into these threads and tossing snide little OCZ GameXtreme / FSP Epsilon insults without providing so much as a hint of WHY. Without some factual information or even SOME sort of experience to back your statements up, they are tantemount to meaningless blathering and should not be taken into consideration. So what's the problem? Did OCZ or FSP rape your dog or something?

The FSP Epsilon isn't as good as it could have been (re: 12v ripple at high loads), but it's no slouch either and you would have a hard time convincing me that an Ultra 500w X-Finity would be a better unit.

Actually, the Powerstream is made by Topower... not FSP. ;) He didn't say "GameXstream" which is the FSP built OCZ.

I'm always good for a good ol' fashion Topower bagging, but I have to admit that I've only seen one Topower that I've been truly happy with and that the blue LED (not the green LED) OCZ 520ADJSLI. Since that might be the OCZ that w1retap has, I didn't take the liberty to comment. ;) All of the other Topowers I've seen crossload horribly and are overpriced. That includes the green LED fan OCZ 520W. So if w1retap has the old 520W, I'm going to agree with dbTelos. But if he has the blue one, I'd rather have it. Of course, I'd rather have another power supply altogether over either of them... but that's off topic. ;)

OCZ moving to FSP was probably the smartest move they've made this decade!

Blue Falcon said:

We are talking about a Powerstream here........

w1retap said:
I threw that one away as stated in my first post because it was smelling up my house. I still have my X-connect though.

edit: it wasn't the 'goop' I know what that looks like. It looked like the melted plastic coating junk that they wrap caps in.

So the PSU was working, fan spinning, etc.... but you think the caps were melting? So a PSU with melting caps is going to continue to function?

I don't mean to poke at you like a troll, but you have to admit it sounds pretty odd. ;)

jonnyGURU said:
Actually, the Powerstream is made by Topower... not FSP. ;-) He didn't say "GameXstream" which is the FSP built OCZ.

I'm always good for a good ol' fashion Topower bagging, but I have to admit that I've only seen one Topower that I've been truly happy with and that the blue LED (not the green LED) OCZ 520ADJSLI. Since that might be the OCZ that w1retap has, I didn't take the liberty to comment. ;) All of the other Topowers I've seen crossload horribly and are overpriced. OCZ moving to FSP was probably the smartest move they've made this decade!
yes, I have the blue led one.. sli ready. :)

jonnyGURU said:
So the PSU was working, fan spinning, etc.... but you think the caps were melting? So a PSU with melting caps is going to continue to function?

I don't mean to poke at you like a troll, but you have to admit it sounds pretty odd. ;)
I know what happened and I'm not going to argue. You are the PSU god and know exactly what happens with everyone's psu when it fails. An Ultra psu could never do this, you are correct, you win.

w1retap said:
yes, I have the blue led one.. sli ready. :)

Ok.. Then you're good. If you had the green LED fan one and was talking smack, I'd have to kick your butt. ;)

w1retap said:
I know what happened and I'm not going to argue. You are the PSU god and know exactly what happens with everyone's psu when it fails. An Ultra psu could never do this, you are correct, you win.

Haha... Whatever, man. :D :rolleyes:

w1retap said:

You can never prove jonnyGURU wrong ;)

OCZ moving to FSP was probably the smartest move they've made this decade!

That or those new, cool, honeycomb rainbow tinted RAM heatsinks. :D

Back