WXP File sharing question

edicted

Limp Gawd
Hello, felling pretty dumb on this one. I built a new XP Pro box, setup a file share on my RAID drive 'D', I can't get to it from any other computer on the network, no matter what login I use (guest or admin). I have verified that both have permissions to the share, the Admin owns the share, etc. I can share out the C drive and it acts as it should, but when trying to share out my main storage drive I get a permissions error. Tried a netuse, etc. still no go.

I looked at my old PC and the c share on both, they are both identical. But I may have done something stupid, like changed the permissions from the default.

Is there a way to reset the share permissions to the default?

I would ultimately like to be able to have my shared drive available to other PCs on my network at home and password protect the share, so only the guest & admin accounts can access the file share.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Hello, felling pretty dumb on this one. I built a new XP Pro box, setup a file share on my RAID drive 'D', I can't get to it from any other computer on the network, no matter what login I use (guest or admin). I have verified that both have permissions to the share, the Admin owns the share, etc. I can share out the C drive and it acts as it should, but when trying to share out my main storage drive I get a permissions error. Tried a netuse, etc. still no go.

I looked at my old PC and the c share on both, they are both identical. But I may have done something stupid, like changed the permissions from the default.

Is there a way to reset the share permissions to the default?

I would ultimately like to be able to have my shared drive available to other PCs on my network at home and password protect the share, so only the guest & admin accounts can access the file share.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Either the account you're using must 1- exist on both machines and 2- have the same password. If not, then you'll have to make sure that you're using the destination machine's log-in.
EX: MachineA had files that I want to access from MachineB. When connecting to MachineA from MachineB, use MachineA/username for the log-in. The computer name, followed by /, tells the computer where to authenticate the user name.

Thanks for the reply. I am doing this (or trying to) currently. My old setup I was able to hit the share from any PC, using the guest account or admin account and password for the admin or guest.

So... I kept getting some error about not enough space to perform the operation when trying to do a \\server\share on another computer, first time I've seen this one. So I looked in the Event Viewer, it showed some errors and Srv was the source, looked at the detail and saw it saying something about the IRPStackSize was too low.. :confused: WTF is the IRPStackSize and why is it too low??? :mad: This is a fresh install of XP Pro.

Googled it and got this KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/177078

No doubt, I was missing the IRPStackSize reg key altogether, created it, gave it a default value of 15, no go, increased it to 20, restarted the server service, like magic my share is working... so this whole time it had nothing to do with permissions...

It's easier to troubleshoot routing issues.

Back