WTB: socket 939 dual core cpu and AGP motherbaord

kytprice

Limp Gawd
I would like to upgrade a older pc for my son I have a 3850 agp card and 2 gigs of ddr 400
but I am looking for something better than the socket 754 3400+ that he has now.

Thanks
kytprice

heat and ebay under
kytprice

Get this mobo and just buy one of the $35 - $45 C2D E6xxx series here on the forums and voila, better performance with an upgrade path for DDRII & Pci-E :)

If u don't want to wait you can always get this 2ghz C2D CPU for $50

I get $117.50 shipped for the mobo and the CPU and both are NIB and faster than most 939 CPU's.

Heck, buy a 4gb kit of DDRII while you're at it then recoup the cost of the DDRII by selling your DDR :) Or even get a 2gb kit of DDRII and make some money by selling the DDR.

Still interested in buying a upgrade. But how much faster would a dual core celeron and a asrock motherboard be?

754 to 939 is not an upgrade - sell the AGP card, they're worth a lot, and build a new system with AM2 or 775.

I am with Varmint on this one, sell the 3850. They are pretty desirable to those who will not give up on AGP. You can build a 775 system very cheap these days.

754 to 939 is not an upgrade - sell the AGP card, they're worth a lot, and build a new system with AM2 or 775.

It isnt ? could of fooled me, since no dualcore cpu will run on a sckt 754 and a DC chip is an upgrade from a single core chip, what you should of said was, 754 to 939 isnt that much of an upgrade compared to say 754 to 775.

If you want a half decent upgrade, I have a nearly new and hardly used socket 939 a8n32 sli mobo with a brand new unused dualcore x2 3800 cpu

I am however in the UK, if you are interested then you gotta be willing to pay for shipping and such, I have a few hardly used 7800gtx video cards if you need one, two or 3 and also a gig of pc3200 2-2-2-5 ram, everything is hardly used and i really mean hardly used as I used other pc's instead to work/play on, only a few hours usage here and there for a couple of the video cards and even less on another and the mobo well, it was built with another cpu and never really used and was dismantled 3 or 4 months later, the 3800 x2 cpu was bought and never used, its still in its box.

if interested hit me up but bear in mind I am in the UK, the mobo is pcie along with the vid cards, the only 939 agp board that I know of is the asrock dual but you cant buy them now unless you find one on fleabay or the likes.

If you have a few hundred quid or bux then you would be much better off buying a new system.

As for the AGP are worth alot, fuck I have a brand new inbox 6800gt unused, I cant get rid of it never mind getting alot of cash for it, nobody wants it and I have tried to sell it numerous times, nobody I know wants agp and the ones that do aint willing to pay more than a couple of quid for it, which I would rather keep the thing than sell it for £10 or £20 especially as it was £430 new

I have a couple of 939 / AGP motherboards still. Lemme look through them tonight and I'll PM you if I have one that I want to part with... :p

It isnt ? could of fooled me, since no dualcore cpu will run on a sckt 754 and a DC chip is an upgrade from a single core chip, what you should of said was, 754 to 939 isnt that much of an upgrade compared to say 754 to 775.

I meant it's the same architecture, so single to dual is not worth building a new system for.

As for the AGP are worth alot, fuck I have a brand new inbox 6800gt unused, I cant get rid of it never mind getting alot of cash for it, nobody wants it and I have tried to sell it numerous times,

Yeah, i should have said "good" AGP cards. The 3850 AGP goes for $120-180 on ebay in the US. $180 buys you a 260 GTX and 4 GB of DDR2!

939 parts cost about as much or more than AM2 or 775. I see no reason why you'd recommend it to him, unless . . .

If you want a half decent upgrade, I have a nearly new and hardly used socket 939 a8n32 sli mobo with a brand new unused dualcore x2 3800 cpu

Oh right, you want to sell him some of your old crap. ;)

OP, I have an Epox 939 PCI-E motherboard, but I don't recommend you buy it.

hehe, you are correct in saying that he is better off buying something other than 939, if I was at sckt 754 which I still am in one of my rigs which has been turned into a server and does the job extremely well, but if it was my main pc I would want to upgrade from that to something as far as humanly possible away from amd and thats coming from someone who until recently had 5 amd rigs in his sig, so i dont hate amd, its just not worth buying a setup for an amd cpu nowadays in my opinion especially as intel is dirt cheap and has HELLA power :) I am not saying the amd cpu's are bad, its just that for near enough the same price you can get a better cpu from intel near enough.

About the AGP thing, I wasnt sure if you meant AGP cards are getting good prices in general or the 3850 he has commands a decent price, I wasnt really sure about what you meant so I jumped in with the shitty fact that I have a brand new 6800gt unused but the only people who want to buy it are the people who only want to pay like 10 or 20 quid and tbh I would rather keep it than throw it away for that price, as I am sure it will come in handy at somepoint, even if its on one of my rigs that are still agp.

As for trying to sell him stuff, well yea if he really wanted to waste money because he specifically wanted 939 then yea, why not ? but since I am in the Uk that alone basically kills any deal or potential deal mainly because of the shipping and also the prices here for things isnt the same price that america pays, so say I was to offer him say a 280gtx for £150, that is a magic price here, but in the states thats like over $300 which with shipping on top wouldnt work out to be such a good deal.

The stuff I have is all top notch stuff, barely used A8N32 SLI Deluxe which maybe had 1 month of usage out of it before i put it back in the box a couple months later and we all know that the a8n32 was probably the best 939 board their was or if not the best it wasnt far from it, the sli 7800gtx's never been overclocked and also hardly used, I got 6 months use out of them before I got my 8800gtx's and on my 3rd 7800gtx it has about a weeks usage if that and as for the cpu, its x2 brand new oem still in box, so it is all top notch and if it was built it would still be a great pc especially for a kid but I know it isnt viable to sell him this as the price I would want would make it not worth it especially with what he could buy new in the states for the same amount of money or a tiny bit more.

I recently within the last month dumped my main amd rig which was x2 4800 with sli 8800gtx's to go with intel for the first time in years and although i admit my new rig is faster than my old one, it doesnt do anything that much better than my old one, the 4800 rig i had was good at everything and nothing i did slowed it down to a crawl and every game I played could be played at max res and quality settings near enough, depending on the game that is, crysis did make her shit her pants but it did that for everyone no matter what setup they were using, so a x2 3800 rig with sli 7800gtxs would be a really nice performer for a kid but getting back to your point, it really isnt worth it to buy and with that I really do have to agree with you.

Bottom line is, if I was him, and I had the cash and my son wasnt too young asto not appreaciate the power of the computer and what it was capable of, then I would buy my son a new rig with much newer specs if I could afford it, however, if my son was too young to really understand how powerful the pc is and what it can be used for then why waste cash on something new when it wont get used properly ? especially when something old will do the same job at a fraction of the cost.

AMD never produced enough 939 x2 cpu's, causing a higher than normal demand. Not that long ago a good 939 x2 would sell on ebay for the same price you could by a c2d and motherboard. The problem is everyone has a great 939 motherboard laying around somewhere, but there are no good x2 cpus to go with them. Thats why its just cheaper to upgrade strait to C2D.

I don't get you guys at all.

OP already has a 3850-agp card and 2 Gb ram.
He can probably score a decent 939 motherboard for $30 - $50 and an X2 3800+ or 4200+ for $30 - $50... (well depending on who responds and their motivation behind responding)

Even though 775 components are cheap(ish)... he'd need everything... Motherboard, CPU, RAM, VGA, HSF.
Let's be real, he isn't gonna get all that for $100.

Sometimes the bottom line is the absolute factor, even if it isn't the best deal. I know that one all too well. :p

He can probably score a decent 939 motherboard for $30 - $50 and an X2 3800+ or 4200+ for $30 - $50... (well depending on who responds and their motivation behind responding)

Why would anyone sell an X2 for $50 when the cheapest on ebay is $65? Some up to $125.

Maybe Im confused, but my 3500+ with a 6800OC will play COD4 on my 19" LCD just fine...

Even though 775 components are cheap(ish)... he'd need everything... Motherboard, CPU, RAM, VGA, HSF.
Let's be real, he isn't gonna get all that for $100.

Sometimes the bottom line is the absolute factor, even if it isn't the best deal. I know that one all too well. :p

We're assuming he's comfortable ebaying or selling his hardware:
Sell the DDR ram ($50) and 3850 AGP ($120),

Then buy e5200 ($70) and 775 board ($90), plus 4 GB DDR2 ($30) and say a 4830 for $80.

So for $100 he's got a nice 775 system vs your idea, which is spend $100 and you have an out of date 939 system with a mediocre video card. And all his 939 parts will be old and used, vs brand new for the 775 stuff.

I know, I just did the same thing. Sold my Opteron 165 for $85 and my OCZ DDR for $55.

Back