WRT54GL installation = BSOD

mdlestat

Limp Gawd
Hey guys--

Here's my specs-- Abit A8N Ultra, WinXPsp2, Kerio Personal Firewall

Following install instructions exactly from the Linksys install CD--

As soon as the CD checks system requirements, after all cables are connected, I get a BSOD with a BAD_POOL (or the like) message.

Sometimes it happens when my firewall asks me if the new gateway is friendly and I say yes.

If I have the cables plugged in w/out running the CD's wizard, I get no BSOD, but I also have no internet access.

Any idea what this might be?

I never needed to use the CD with any router. Are you sure you can't set it up without the CD?

I can start the com w/ all cables plugged in, and will still get a BSOD (now with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL)

I got into the router through firefox, looked around there, but have no way to do anything, as it is as though I am not even connected according to the router's lack of IP addy.

Then,at some random moment, BSOD.

My system's been bulletproof stable until this (I had a $14.99 cheapie 4-port router before this, and it worked like a charm)

???

irq not less equal or whatever has always been a computer hardware problem that i needed to fix inside of my computer

So are you suggesting there's a problem with the router hardware-wise?
I say this because as previously mentioned, I've had a perfectly functional system until now, so I seriously doubt that it's hardware related on my end...

Nope, pal. You've discovered a potentially serious instability in your system. First,

SOHO Routers don't need the CD. Ever. It's just the manual, and rarely a form of management utility. Routers don't influence your computer to BSOD directly.

That out of the way, do you have:

Emulation/Virtual Drive software installed?
Can you read/run other CDs?

Perhaps the Sys Reqs "checker" is doing something to make Windows cry. If it doesn't affect anything else...well, a-ok I guess, but I still think it's time to reformat (how long has it been since install?) or take a close look at system drivers and files.

Exactly what Movax said.

The CD is totally unneeded, I always just toss them out.

About the BSODs, they ONLY happen when you have the ethernet cable hooked from your router to your PC? or does it happen when you have your PC connected to any piece of networking equip?

I would be thinking it was some problem with your NIC if it happens only when the ethernet cable is plugged in.

Thank you guys-- though I am not exactly happy to hear what you have to say...

To the emulation/Vdrive question-- no I don't think so, (...ahem... I can't even say I know what exactly that is :eek: )

It's been OK in reading a few others discs (mainly audio)

Oh, and for the install/reformat point, this system is only a few months old (5-ish)

-- as for the plugged in question, yes-- it only hangs when this router's plugged into the com

-- and the other (old) generic router had no issues or problems associated with its use for the year I ran it, so I know it was OK (and now that you mention it, it was just as simple as 'just plugging it in' to get it to work...

mdlestat said:
-- as for the plugged in question, yes-- it only hangs when this router's plugged into the com

That sounds strange to me, if its going to hang when its plugged in it shouldnt matter what its plugged into.

If you happen to have another NIC somewheres I would try swapping it out and see if that changes anything. WalMart has NICs for cheap(something like 10 bucks I believe) if you dont have an extra one.

try updating your network card drivers... perhaps it is having a problem communicating with the new router.

I've been using the port on the mobo-- but that's a good, cheap way to troubleshoot that possibility, so I'll pick one up tomorrow...

just spurting out randome ideas here, did you try using a different ethernet cable, the one you ahve could have a short, or bad pinout and your nic might be shuting down your computer

TheCreator said:
try updating your network card drivers... perhaps it is having a problem communicating with the new router.

Do this 1st. Then look at the next step

Well, I disabled the on-board Nvidia LAN, and added a new network card to the com.

Other than another unexplained BSOD following the first restart with the new card, after I got the driver installed on the second start-up, everything seems to be great now-- I'm writing this from my un-plugged living room :)

After I unplugged/reset my cable modem, my com got online through the new card, and as you all said-- connecting the router was painless thereafter-- just like my old one.

I'm still wondering why the onboard LAN didn't like the router before, and why I had to use up my last PCI slot for this... but I'm too happy to bitch-- I'm nice and wireless...it just doesn't make sense.

THANK YOU all for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back