WRT54G Wireless Connection

TicTac

Limp Gawd
Hi all,

After a period of a few months on my laptop where my wireless connection was working fine, with the introduction of my desktop it is now playing up again.

Basically, at first, I set up my desktop (kinda built myself) with the Belkin Wireless Desktop Card and it was a little incosistent - generally after like 20 minutes sometimes,I think the DNS server went down as the connection says it was fine but all firefox pages just give me 'untitled.'

However I was fiddling around in the 'wireless' tab in the setup and reset the security and the Wireless SSID broadcast. This kinda completely disabled everything for a while, until it decided to come back on and I did a factory reset. Now I have done that my connection is very incosistent. If I did a ping to any site in the 'cmd' prompt. the results are very varied: Sometimes about 2 'request timed out' to 2 successful replies, sometimes no successful replies, sometimes 4/4.

This makes browsing almost impossible, and it is only sites like google that have small enough web pages it seems that I can load before it cuts out again. This is happening exactly the same on my Dell Insprion 6000 laptop with the Intel 2200bg wireless card. I am currently just with my modem (D-Link DSL 300T) on my desktop which is workgin fine.

So, any good firmware advice for the Linksys, I upgraded it to version 4 official linksys I think - it was version 2.

Any other advice to get things working? What is the best channel (the one you can change in the setup)?

Thanks for all advice

The best channel is the one that no one else is transmitting on. Factory default on most routers is 6, try other channels until you get one that gives you consistent signal.

Packet loss is usually due to a poor signal, but it might be the router. Have you tried resetting to factory defaults after you did the firmware upgrade?

Back