WRT54G Recommended firmware

Yuhri

n00b
Ok so im a big WoW/BF2 gamer and my little brother likes to use WoW/Halo2. So what firmware is recommend for online gaming for the above router? And if you could either post or PM me a link to where to find it (if not im not lazy i can google it)

NM found another thread on the subject...prob is ive got the 4.2x.xx firmware in there which i think is rev4...which means im kinda fooked =/

Yuhri said:
NM found another thread on the subject...prob is ive got the 4.2x.xx firmware in there which i think is rev4...which means im kinda fooked =/
If you dont mind me asking, what kind of problems are you having? I have the same router, and we routinly use it on lanpartys, infact one time we had 4 people playing wow and about 3 more playing various other games online without problems. We were not forwarding ports or anything.

If you post your problems we might be able to offer some more help

i tend to get random lag spikes and increased latency....like ill sit at aroun 250ms drop to 80 (which used to be normal) then somtime spike to like almost 2k+ but this happens like every 20 mins or so but sometime doesnt happen. I just got the router yesterday because my 5yr old befsr41 died and am trying to adjust things one at a time...so far i have port triggering setup for WoW and just recently enabled QoS for the same port with gaming preference in the router enabled. Its holding steady since then. If you dont mind my asking can you PM your router setup info and firmware version (im using 4.20.7) to see what else i might be missing. The assistance of the [H] forum goers is very much appreciated.

As long as you have at least version 4.something...as prior to 4, it had issues with large files transfers "bombing out" the router.

Occasional lag spikes.....I'd chalk that up to the nature of "gaming on wireless" first, not the firmware. Try different channels...you might be getting some occasional interference with something else.

Are all your systems clean from ad/spy/malware/trojans/worms? That occasional spike might be due to one of them acting up doing something, adding traffic to your internet pipe.

If running WinXP, is SP2 installed? Besides the obvious of making your system more secure and immune to threats out there, it greatly increased the wireless functionality of XP.

YeOldeStonecat said:
As long as you have at least version 4.something...as prior to 4, it had issues with large files transfers "bombing out" the router.

Occasional lag spikes.....I'd chalk that up to the nature of "gaming on wireless" first, not the firmware. Try different channels...you might be getting some occasional interference with something else.

Are all your systems clean from ad/spy/malware/trojans/worms? That occasional spike might be due to one of them acting up doing something, adding traffic to your internet pipe.

If running WinXP, is SP2 installed? Besides the obvious of making your system more secure and immune to threats out there, it greatly increased the wireless functionality of XP.

Actually im running wired to the router as are all the desktop PCs in the house (wireless is currently disabled as we dont have a single wireless capable PC at this time) Im running windows XP SP1 and i have checked to verify that all computers are clean.

Back