WRT54G antenna upgrade?

WoodiE

Limp Gawd
I've got two WRT54G routers running DD-WRT one as my main router the other as a bridge to connect my XBOX 360. Per the routers the signal strength is only about 40%, the two routers are 3 rooms apart.

I've seen the antenna's on ebay for like $10 that state a 9dbi increase but have heard they are not very good. Does anyone know of a nice antenna that would work with a WRT54G and cost under $40?

If feasible, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a directional antenna. It would depend on the placement of the antenna/routers, but a directional antenna will provide you with much more gain. An omnidirectional antenna will never provide you with much more than a few db gain over an isotropic radiator by design. Most of those numbers you are reading are inflated marketing. You may look at parabolic antenna's, yagi's, etc. If any of them have a radiation pattern that would be give you the coverage you need, I would highly recommend getting it. You should have trouble at all getting 80-90% with just one directional antenna on one of them, as that is what I see in my home, and the routers are around 100 ft. apart. Might I also suggest increasing the power level slightly in dd-wrt on each of the routers. I like to run mine conservatively, but a 33% power increase is a db of gain.

Good Luck,
Josh

Back