Would this work?

Ciggarilo Himself

Limp Gawd
Im wondering,would this work?:Cover all components insde my case in grease so its waterproof,then put it in like a bathtub ot barrel or something,would this work provided everything is covered properly?

No. And if you're going to try, consult your insurance agency regarding coverage first!

Ciggarilo Himself said:
Im wondering,would this work?:Cover all components insde my case in grease so its waterproof,then put it in like a bathtub ot barrel or something,would this work provided everything is covered properly?

This will absolutely not work. I don't think the grease would conduct a good amount of heat. If you are trying to achieve something cool vs. something to efficently cool your components, you could probably make a computer submerged in oil. However, I would strongly not recommend it with high-end components.

you can use cooking oil, google the cooking oil pc expiriment.

If it was covered well enough (like, I mean thick layers of it allover everything), and it was a dielectric grease, It would WORK...

But it would DIE really fast due to heat buildup!

yes, provided you do a little bit of maintennance on it first...

A. Seal the CPU socket up with some silicone, around the base of the HSF. You CANT get fluid inbetween the processor and the HSF, you'll kill your CPU.

B. Make sure everything is seated well in their sockets first.

Flourinert, low VST white Mineral oils and cooking oil will do the trick... But not high end hardware. After a few hours, without some sort of heat removal system, your oil will heat up too high, and quit being a good cooling method.

yer forgetting :

C. Seal all the electrolytic capacitors.

The little rubber endcaps on these caps will dissolve/degrade in nearly all oils.

-------

My work on this type of cooling has shown that not only do you need a heat removal system , it's gotta be rated to remove 3-4 times whats actually generated ,simply based on losses......

And don't use cooking oil , you can get proper dielectric oils for a little more $ , that are inherently better suited for this task.

:D

Back