• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Would this be a good idea?

flip_kc79

n00b
Joined
Aug 29, 2005
Messages
3
I'll be going skt 939 and getting a new videocard (I have an Intel P4 3.06ghz Northwood Core skt 478 and FX5700LE 256mb 128-bit AGP8x videocard right now) and I am thinking of upgrading to AMD 64 3000+ and a 9800 Pro 128mb (or 256mb) 256-bit AGP8x card BUT with this motherboard (AsRock 939Dual-SATA2 skt 939 motherboard). It has both an AGP8x slot and PCI-E slot. Here is the link to AnAndTech's review of it. Believe it or not, but it beats the DFI LANParty SLI-DR in most benchmarks and all those other "reputable" brands. Check it out for yourself. If AsRock continues to surprise me like this, I think I might invest in more of their stuff. So what do you guys think? And how does a 9800 Pro compare to a 6600GT? Would it be worth the $40 to upgrade to a 6600GT from a 9800 Pro? ($140 - $180 CDN) I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.
 
flip_kc79 said:
I'll be going skt 939 and getting a new videocard (I have an Intel P4 3.06ghz Northwood Core skt 478 and FX5700LE 256mb 128-bit AGP8x videocard right now) and I am thinking of upgrading to AMD 64 3000+ and a 9800 Pro 128mb (or 256mb) 256-bit AGP8x card BUT with this motherboard (AsRock 939Dual-SATA2 skt 939 motherboard). It has both an AGP8x slot and PCI-E slot. Here is the link to AnAndTech's review of it. Believe it or not, but it beats the DFI LANParty SLI-DR in most benchmarks and all those other "reputable" brands. Check it out for yourself. If AsRock continues to surprise me like this, I think I might invest in more of their stuff. So what do you guys think? And how does a 9800 Pro compare to a 6600GT? Would it be worth the $40 to upgrade to a 6600GT from a 9800 Pro? ($140 - $180 CDN) I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.
Going from a P4 3.06GHz to an A64 3000+ won't yield much of a boost, unless you overclock. I recommend going PCI-e if you want to move into a new platform. Not sure how much they cost in Canada, but the EPoX EP-9NPA+ SLI ($138 Newegg) is a great bargain. Pair it up with an inexpensive 6600GT ($139 Newegg) and you'll be set.

Of course, if you want to save as much money as you can now, upgrade your existing video card in your current system. A 6600GT ($139 Newegg) or 6800nu ($162 Newegg) would be good Vs.a 9800 Pro. If you can find something in the X800 line cheaper, definitely entertain that as an option as well.
 
Yes, defeinitely go PCIe as APG is fading out...fast. A 6600GT is a hell of a lot better than a 9800 pro. Youll notice a difference, but not as much of a difference if you went to a 7800GTX :p . If you really feel the need to game, the 6800GT's are dropping. For approximately 290 US you can get a 6800GT from Newegg or ZZF. Not sure what your budget is but its a look into.
 
flip_kc79 said:
I'll be going skt 939 and getting a new videocard (I have an Intel P4 3.06ghz Northwood Core skt 478 and FX5700LE 256mb 128-bit AGP8x videocard right now) and I am thinking of upgrading to AMD 64 3000+ and a 9800 Pro 128mb (or 256mb) 256-bit AGP8x card BUT with this motherboard (AsRock 939Dual-SATA2 skt 939 motherboard). It has both an AGP8x slot and PCI-E slot. Here is the link to AnAndTech's review of it. Believe it or not, but it beats the DFI LANParty SLI-DR in most benchmarks and all those other "reputable" brands. Check it out for yourself. If AsRock continues to surprise me like this, I think I might invest in more of their stuff. So what do you guys think? And how does a 9800 Pro compare to a 6600GT? Would it be worth the $40 to upgrade to a 6600GT from a 9800 Pro? ($140 - $180 CDN) I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.

Hmmmm.... You do know they are ASUS right? Its their answer to all of the wierd specialty or cheap boards. They are cheap wierd boards but they are ASUS.
 
Topweasel said:
Hmmmm.... You do know they are ASUS right? Its their answer to all of the wierd specialty or cheap boards. They are cheap wierd boards but they are ASUS.
Thanks everyone and yes I do realize it's a branch off of Asus but it beats DFI and MSI in overclocking and in gaming performance with the same setup. Check out AnAndTech's benchmark. I've read reviews and it has been lasting people quite well too. I know they're not very well known, but it's nice to win with the underdog :p.
 
Back
Top