Would it be safe to use this?

I am curious would I run into any problems using a at psu to power cdroms and hardrives? I know I would have to turn it on prior to firing up the atx psu but would it cause any real problems?
I have a real weak atx psu and I am unable to run all the drives I need in my system.
If I hook up all the stuff I am going to run it will reboot after getting to windows If I take it down to 2 hdds and 1 cdrom it runs fine.
Bear in mind this is just to get get me by until I can afford a good build.The system is a amd 2000+ nothing fancy just and old cheap internet and file storage system.

I see no reason it would be a problem.

If you were really creative you could make em turn on with one button too......

This was discussed a year or two ago in the hard drive or PSU forum i forget which. I'm fuzzy on the details but It was feasible and there were some pitfalls to be aware of. In essence if you didn't wire it up a certain way you could lose all the data on the hard drives. It may not be worth the heartache (or even fire hazard), especially when it's been demonstrated that your current psu isn't powerful enough, and running on it's threshhold. There's been some great sales on decent psu's in our hot deals forum recently.

Here's one of the more recently posted deals for example: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1252045

Back