Would it be ok to use a peltier with an XP-90?

I would like to get a peltier to help cool my Athlon 64 3200+ so I can OC it more, but I don't quite have the money yet for watercooling. Would it be ok to use an 80 Watt peltier with my thermalright XP-90 with a Panaflo 92mm fan? Also, would it work fine on my Fortron Bluestorm 500W PSU, I have 1 SATA HD, 1 DVD-RW, 2 4 CCFLs, and 5 fan running in it, or would I need another PSU? Thanks.

no, it would not be okay at all.

an 80 watt peltier is not enough for your processor. you need at least one of those 170 watt units, or better a 226 watt. anything less just does not geive enough gains to justify the effort. even a 226 watt is only questionably worthwhile, really.

i am also reasonably sure that the base of the heatsink is not large enough to cover the whole peltier, even if an 80 watt pelt were enough. a 226 watt pelt is even larger than the 80 watt, and will DEFINATELY not fit on the XP-90.

an 80 watt MIGHT..........BARELY.........be operable on you computer PSU, with everything else, but it would be cutting close to the point that you should be reading electrical specification stickers on all of your other system components very carefully and making sure that you have enough output on the 12 V to clear startup, when all of your drives spin up. i have heard of people running an 80 w pelt for their GPU off a 550 or 600, though.

finally, you need to keep the hot side of the peltier below 40C for optimal opperation, and there is no way the the XP-90 will do that, when pared with a sane fan.

save up for a while, and then go for watercooling. plain watercooling. i went straight to peltier cooling, and this was the result: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=884844&page=1

save up, do watercooling for a while. once you have everything down pat with water, then maybe move up to thermoelectrics.

ok, cool, thanks for letting me know the dangers, but sorry about your righ man :( but I will probably get a water cooling rig off of dangerden.com. Thanks for hte reply.

Those are some awesome pictures. That blows it happened, but good pics non the less. Never seen anything like that before.

meh........most people do not go striaght for pelt cooling.

they lean about this thing called "caution" first.

i just went for it, without adequate safety measures, and got more-or-less what i deserved as a result.

i'm just glad that i didn't burn the place down.

i'm reasonably handy with a camera, by the by. i got some shots into my last university's newspaper, using just a disposable. MAN were some of the fine arts students pissed when they learned what i wsa using..............heheh..............

i've found that the most usefull skill for taking reference shots, is to develop body postures that help to stabilize both your body and the camera while taking the shot. you look pretty goofy while you're doing it, but you can gete better shots as a result.

most of those shots were taken butt on heels, elbows on knees, target on floor.

keep in mind youll need an external industrial psu (meanwell is the best) to power a pelt and on top of that youll have to insulate your components

Yeah, if I did get it I would be VERY catious, but I think I will wait and save some money for a water cooling rig, and then maybe get a peltier, but when I do I will be very careful.

toymachineman19 said:
Yeah, if I did get it I would be VERY catious, but I think I will wait and save some money for a water cooling rig, and then maybe get a peltier, but when I do I will be very careful.

good good.

the point i was trying to make was simply that you should be carefull and thorough if you go for it, not that you shouldn't try.

Your Qmax will be limited by the XP-90's ability to transfer heat.

Therefore an XP-90 by itself in ambient air would be more efficient.

if you run the NRG equation in your head, the outflow must be >= the inflow. A radiator has a higher capacity to dissipate thermal energy than an XP-90.

So I say, save your $$ on the TEC, and get some water cooling first... but design your system with room to upgrade to TEC or Phase change later on down the road.

This cooling stuff is like crack man.

haha, ok, thanks. I will wait though, but I want to try it get some watercooling, and then I'll leave room for phase change or TEC

fore1337 said:
Your Qmax will be limited by the XP-90's ability to transfer heat.

Therefore an XP-90 by itself in ambient air would be more efficient.

if you run the NRG equation in your head, the outflow must be >= the inflow. A radiator has a higher capacity to dissipate thermal energy than an XP-90.

close............the XP-90 WILL dissipate all of the heat, it'll just get too hot while doing it.

a rad can dissipate about as much heat as the XP-90, it can just do it at temperatures much closer to ambient.

the amount of heat that the heatsink disposes of actually increases as the thing gets higher above ambient temp.

key issue are the fit problem, followed closely by the hot side getting too hot problem, the pelt not having enough pumping capacity, and then the power supply problem.

Back