Won't install XP because it won't accept USB keyboard

Brian Boyko

[H] Consumer Editor
Here's a doozy:

I'm trying to reinstall Windows XP SP2 from CD-Rom. While the BIOS has no problem recognizing my keyboard, the minute the computer gets to the "start windows" part of the install (which is the part where you press enter to get to the next screen) it isn't detecting my keyboard, a USB generic keyboard. I don't have a dongle to plug it into the PS2 port.

Basically, I need to know how to get a Windows Install to recognize a USB keyboard.

The only time I have ran into that issue is when there is a BIOS setting for USB Keyboards or Legacy USB devices and its set to disable

Mine's set "Enabled" - and to be certain, the keyboard works fine in getting to the bios and when you "push a key to boot from CD" - as well as in the initial setup when it asks you to "press F6 to load additional drivers" - the only time it doesn't work is when it gets to the screen before the partition screen - after "starting windows."

Well, I know a lot of dell's have that problem. There is a setting in the BIOS that needs to be changed, but at the moment it's 2AM and I can not recall what it is. If I have any HD/Mobo calls tomorrow I'll go check one of their BIOS' and see if I can remember what it is :(

Actually - surprizingly, updating the bios solved it. :) Bios v. 3.5 simply wasn't available the last time I had this problem.

Sorry I hadn't had time to respond more deeply - yes, upgrading the bios solved the problem although all my bios settings were wiped out and I was, quite frankly, freaked when it was reading an incorrect amount of RAM in my system (turned out to be nothing; it had simply re-enabled the graphics card on the mainboard instead of my plug-in.)

However, I'm glad that it eventually worked.

I'm a little ticked off at MSI for not including a liveupdate option that doesn't require a floppy disc (and had to burn a bootable CD-R) but all's well that ends well.

No live update option??

When I tried to download the live update tool the stupid link was broken. Here is a working link in case that was your problem. I know you got your bios updated already. Perhaps someone might find this later who needs it though. Never know :)

http://download.msi.com.tw/support/swr_exe/mbd_swr/LiveUpdate.zip

the broken one had a us- in front of the download.msi... I just deleted that and it worked heh.

Back