NoEcho
2[H]4U
- Joined
- Aug 14, 2001
- Messages
- 3,250
Got a wacky problem I'm troubleshooting. User plugged in a PnP printer before installing the dedicated drivers. System OS is XP Pro SP1. System is older Dell with an Intel 80280 Chipset (pretty sure thats the one). System crashed immediately.
Drivers have been removed for the new printer and the old printers. I upgraded the graphics drivers. Upgraded the mobo drivers (though all I could find on the website was "intel application accelerator"). Twinked bios settings (Ps2, EPP, ECP). Tried juggling the IRQ's even though there's a limited set of 4 in the bios (for whatever reason). The original blue screen error says IRQ1 or IRQL error. Still can't boot outside of safe mode. Crashes to blue screen during windows load up. System appears stable in safe mode w/ networking. However, it acts as a local server inside a LAN and needs to be able to print and serve printers. Can't leave it like this.
There was a crapload of dust inside when I opened the case and the ram was almost too hot to touch. Bad airflow. Atypically, it was Samsung ram with heat spreaders (atypical for Dell box). Wondering if the driver conflict exacerbated a pre-existing hardware instability to the point of toasting some ram.... I can check that.
But also wondering if there's anyone else out there who's dealt with driver conflicts with this hardware config who've had similiar chain reaction problems but found a fix.
Drivers have been removed for the new printer and the old printers. I upgraded the graphics drivers. Upgraded the mobo drivers (though all I could find on the website was "intel application accelerator"). Twinked bios settings (Ps2, EPP, ECP). Tried juggling the IRQ's even though there's a limited set of 4 in the bios (for whatever reason). The original blue screen error says IRQ1 or IRQL error. Still can't boot outside of safe mode. Crashes to blue screen during windows load up. System appears stable in safe mode w/ networking. However, it acts as a local server inside a LAN and needs to be able to print and serve printers. Can't leave it like this.
There was a crapload of dust inside when I opened the case and the ram was almost too hot to touch. Bad airflow. Atypically, it was Samsung ram with heat spreaders (atypical for Dell box). Wondering if the driver conflict exacerbated a pre-existing hardware instability to the point of toasting some ram.... I can check that.
But also wondering if there's anyone else out there who's dealt with driver conflicts with this hardware config who've had similiar chain reaction problems but found a fix.