WNDR3700 IP Assignment (?)

In the settings, there is a spot in which you can set the range of IPs to assign to connected computers and other devices. This particular option is available under the "LAN" options. What I am seeing is that the only IP that is assigned within the range is the one and only device hardwired to the router. Everything else is being assigned IP addresses outside of the range. Am I missing something? I was under the assumption that any IP addresses assigned dynamically would be within the range whether they were wired or wireless :confused:

What are the settings on the lan page and what addresses are the other devices recieving?

I don't know this model offhand, but this is what you need to look for...

On the router, check the DHCP properties page (where ever it is) that the pool of addresses it's assigning is in the same subnet as the LAN interface. if you've changed the LAN primary IP to something other than the default (usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1), this is probably what is going on.

On a PC that's getting a wrong IP, open a DOS box and type
ipconfig /all

It will show all the network info for all your adapters (which will be a lot if you have windows 7). Find the right adapter and check out the DHCP server, make sure it's the same address as your router. It's possible you have another router acting as the DHCP server.

- in answer to bmh.01

LAN Setup
Device Name WNDR3700v2
LAN TCP/IP Setup
IP Address . . .192.168.1.1
IP Subnet Mask . . .255.255.255.0
RIP Direction Both
RIP Version Disabled
Use Router as DHCP Server
Starting IP Address . . .192.168.1.2
Ending IP Address . . .192.168.1.254

I only have one router and these are the currently assigned IPs

the 192.168.1.3 is my PC and is set statically on my card. The others are all dynamically set. Any ideas? This issue is not creating a problem but it goes against what I have always used or thought in the past. This is my first brand new router along with being dual band and 'N". I would call myself a newb but I have set quite a few routers up - at least to the point of working and working well. Forgive me if I ask some retarded questions in this posting. I just want to utilize this router as much as I can and have a bullet proof sett up as my other half is a medical transcriptionist and needs everything network wise to be in top stable shape. I'm sure that was more info than you needed to know but I just want everyone to know where I stand. Thanks!

- iLAN Setup
Device Name WNDR3700v2
LAN TCP/IP Setup
IP Address . . .192.168.1.1
IP Subnet Mask . . .255.255.255.0
RIP Direction Both
RIP Version Disabled
Use Router as DHCP Server
Starting IP Address . . .192.168.1.2
Ending IP Address . . .192.168.1.254

I only have one router and these are the currently assigned IPs
They all seem to be within the range specified. Are we missing some peice of information?

Ok, I'm feeling really lost at the moment. How are those IPs within the range when the range is .2 - .254 ? Anything under .2 and anything over .254 would be out of the range correct?

Ok, I'm feeling really lost at the moment. How are those IPs within the range when the range is .2 - .254 ? Anything under .2 and anything over .254 would be out of the range correct?

right, the ip's must be within 2 and 254. The numbers you specified are:

all of which are higher than 2, and lower than 254.

edit: oh, and btw, I usually recommend keeping a small range clear for static ips, so that they dont overlap. Usually not a problem, but i'm not sure what would happen if your static computer went offline and then the DHCP assigned that ip to a different computer...

Ok , I guess that I was looking at it in terms of decimals instead of whole numbers - ie. .25 = 1/4 and .5 = 1/2 making the .5 higher. But what you're saying is that 5 is less than 25. Is this correct? If it is , I have been totally looking at it in the wrong way since day 1 :confused:

Ok , I guess that I was looking at it in terms of decimals instead of whole numbers - ie. .25 = 1/4 and .5 = 1/2 making the .5 higher. But what you're saying is that 5 is less than 25. Is this correct? If it is , I have been totally looking at it in the wrong way since day 1 :confused:
correct, there are absolutely no decimals in ip address. The dots are there purely to separate the whole integers, they serve no other purpose. The integers between the dots can be anywhere between 0 and 255 (including 0 and 255, although these are "special" case), no lower no higher, and no fractions.

WoW! Thanks for the enlightenment. I knew I didn't know much about networking but now I feel even more dumb. :(

Back