wmv codec missing?!?

Billiam411

Limp Gawd
Ok, so recently i tried exporting a video in premiere as a wmv file, with the windows media video 9 codec, it says there is no codec installed to handle this format, or something like that. It also happens with any other video editor i've tried on this system, with different errors but they all say that there is no wmv codec. Also, if i download a wmv file and try and open it with windows media player, it says it cant find the codec, and to go online to microsoft's website (which, as usual, didnt help). Is there any way i can reinstall this codec without reinstalling windows and or reformatting?

You will probably need to download a particular codec.. but what I like to do is solve one problem and prevent others just by downloading Codec packs. I used to use the Nimo codec pack which had all of the codecs necessary but since has been discontinued. A quick google search led me to this codec pack: Link
and this here Link #2
though watch out for the 2nd link... Nimo hasn't been updated in years! Good luck!

I don't think you need to install a codec pack... they normally include old versions of a bunch of junk to mess up your system.

I think what you are looking for is this straight from the MS website.

edit: You might also want to grab the MS encoder as well.

Back