WMP in WinXP video choppy after 5-8 minutes

sandmanx

[H]F Junkie
I've got a weird problem with WMP10(WMP9 did it too) where after 5-8 minutes of ANY video, the load will drop for the media player process to 0%. This makes the video a slideshow, but the audio keeps going. I did a google search and didn't come up with anything, so I figured I'd try here.

I upgraded from WMP9 to WMP10 today to see if it made a difference, and the same thing happens. Relavent machine specs:

Asus A7N8X-VM/400
Athlon XP 2600+(1.93GHz/333FSB)
512MB Crucial PC2100 ram(it runs at 266 when checked via cpu-z)
onboard nforce2 video
WinXP Pro SP2 w/ all latest patches

I've had Corsair PC2700 ram in the machine before and it did the same thing, so I feel that the speed of the ram isn't a problem. It's been doing it since I first used WMP, after I installed it around June 2003. I've got way too much crap on this machine to easily reload it, so I'd rather avoid that if possible. Anyone have any ideas?

sandmanx said:
I've got a weird problem with WMP10(WMP9 did it too) where after 5-8 minutes of ANY video, the load will drop for the media player process to 0%. This makes the video a slideshow, but the audio keeps going. I did a google search and didn't come up with anything, so I figured I'd try here.

I upgraded from WMP9 to WMP10 today to see if it made a difference, and the same thing happens. Relavent machine specs:

Asus A7N8X-VM/400
Athlon XP 2600+(1.93GHz/333FSB)
512MB Crucial PC2100 ram(it runs at 266 when checked via cpu-z)
onboard nforce2 video
WinXP Pro SP2 w/ all latest patches

I've had Corsair PC2700 ram in the machine before and it did the same thing, so I feel that the speed of the ram isn't a problem. It's been doing it since I first used WMP, after I installed it around June 2003. I've got way too much crap on this machine to easily reload it, so I'd rather avoid that if possible. Anyone have any ideas?

It may be your video codec. Go to google and type in Nimo Codec Pack. Download that.

I have a problem too, whenever I open my video folder, for no apparent reason my explorer.exe cpu time jump to 99% and stays that way..JUST from opening the folder. I've had to delete them 1 at a time to find which one it is. Certain codecs just suck ass.

phaelinx said:
It may be your video codec. Go to google and type in Nimo Codec Pack. Download that.

I have a problem too, whenever I open my video folder, for no apparent reason my explorer.exe cpu time jump to 99% and stays that way..JUST from opening the folder. I've had to delete them 1 at a time to find which one it is. Certain codecs just suck ass.
You should check out this tweak:
http://www.tweakxp.com/display.aspx?id=841

OldMX said:
Media Player Classic is your friend, give it a try ;)

OldMX

Tried out the codec pack and the same thing happened. MPC doesn't work with WMV9 codec, which is what I'm encoding with at the present time. I guess I'll just live with this problem until I get a chance to reload the machine, since nothing seems to be working for me. :rolleyes:

I dunno, anyone think about video drivers yet? Have another video card you could put in the agp for a few mins to test out if it's the video card? Just a thought

Grimmda said:
I dunno, anyone think about video drivers yet? Have another video card you could put in the agp for a few mins to test out if it's the video card? Just a thought

I haven't tried that. I can grab the latest drivers and give that a try. As far as video, I don't have a single AGP card in the building, I do have some PCI cards, I might give that a shot later on. Thanks for the suggestions.

Back