wmccds.exe is munching my CPU!

bigdavethehorn

Limp Gawd
So the X360 is now connected to my MCE 2005 P.C. and all is well.

Until I boot the P.C.

It gets to the desktop, then thrashes the disk for about 2 minutes, during this time, wmccds.exe is using between 50-95% of the CPU.

I know it's a service related to Media Center & the X360, but what's it doing? The Xbox is switched off btw.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

That's the Windows Media Connect program that allows you to share folders so that the 360 can play them from your computer. Every time the computer starts it looks at those shared folders. There should be an icon in the taskbar for it. I know with me when i first started using that feature, it took a while after boot for it to actually start sharing the folders because it was always looking through them i guess. Lately it happens much faster.

Are you using both at the same time? I only turn on the folder sharing when I'm actually using it. Otherwise, it's off. If I want to use my Xbox to get any music/pictures...then I turn the folder sharing on when I turn on the Xbox.

Domingo said:
Are you using both at the same time? I only turn on the folder sharing when I'm actually using it. Otherwise, it's off. If I want to use my Xbox to get any music/pictures...then I turn the folder sharing on when I turn on the Xbox.

I use the MCE PC to stream DIVX & audio to the X360, so they are both being used at the same time.

bigdavethehorn said:
I use the MCE PC to stream DIVX & audio to the X360, so they are both being used at the same time.

I meant are you actually actively doing something with 'em at the same time. If you're using your PC...are you actually watching movies on the 360? I don't think there's fix if so. Maybe limit the number of shared folders you have and play with the settings. I think it's like complaining about the picture-in-picture not allowing you to see more details.

No, I'm not actively doing something on both at the same time, more often than not, the 360 is off when I boot the PC.

It's been said but here it is in a clearer format.

The wmccds.exe is rebuilding your "play list" so to speak each time your PC boots up. the more files/directories you include in this list the longer it takes. It never caches the list and so speeds up. If the folders that are shared never change the process will take the same amount of time the first day and the x day.

You can disable the processes manual startup, and only turn it on when you want, but then if you forget to turn it on your Xbox 360 will be unable to see your PC. It is a "service" that is running in the administrator console of windows XP and I was trying to figure out a way to delay it's startup, since it uses so much processor power, but I've not been able to find a time delay command that will work yet. So you're pretty much going to have to manually start the process or just let it run automatically when you boot your PC. There is a HUGE difference in the amount of processor time used depending on how many files you have "shared". If you limit the folders that are shared you can really minimalize the impact on your system.

My p4 3.2 northwood at 3.92 NEVER uses more than 50% processor power on this process, I'm not sure why yours would be using 90%?

OK, so if I set this service to start manually, will it still do it's wee scan when I start it?

At least that way it won't be doing it at boot time when I'm patiently waiting to use the damn machine!

You could always do what I did and use a seperate folder to store a copy of only the music/video files you want to use on your 360.

The only problem I've come across is that if you disable the add-in app Media centre extender uses in media player you'll have real trouble getting it to work again.

I'm thinking of doing a reinstall because my 360 can't see my PC since I disabled it (I've tried to renable it but it just stays disabled) MCextender says everything's okay and my folders are still shared, windows firewall is disabled (using hardware firewall on router instead which is set to allow traffic from my 360 and PC).

Back