wiring in multiple USB ports inside the case

hortus

Limp Gawd
I need multiple USB ports inside my case to drive several case displays, readers etc. I was hoping to build something that might use a 4 port hub and hardwire it onto the back of the front panel USB hubs. Is this something that I should shy away from? If I solder a plug onto the exterior plug will it still function. I am unsure how best to do this and was hoping someone here had done something similar and could give me some advice on how to proceed. :eek:

I don't want the wiring to go out the back as it would look like ass, and this machine is for a client who wanted alot of custom bells and whistles. The soldering and construction will not be a problem as long as I know what I am trying to accomplish, I just don't know much about the USB bus and don't want to screw it up.

I will need atleast 3 ports available to me inside, and I don't have a PCI slot available to me due to the need for an HD tuner.

The best way to go about it is to disconnect the one external port, wire the part going to the motherboard to the hub, and the outside part to one of the ports on the hub. That'd give you three internal (if using a four-port hub) and a fully-funtioning external port.

This begs the question, what if you want to put something like 20 usb ports in an array 5x4 or something. Since not all of them can have their own source, how would you go about wiring them up to each source? 5 ports per usb header on the motherboard?

You can connect a hub to a hub for more ports... but you can't split a usb cable for more ports.

awdark said:
You can connect a hub to a hub for more ports... but you can't split a usb cable for more ports.
As long as the hubs have their own power supplies, awdark is right.

I will cut one of the two cables from the motherboard connection, solder a female USB port onto it, and essentially make an internal USB port I can attatch to. I will plug a non powered hub into that, and then plug the external case plug into the hub. I will have to cut the end off a usb cable and split out one of the excess plugs I have laying around here in the bins. That will give me an exterior plug that works, and three plugs inside that will allow me to attatch the two VFD/s and a multicard reader.

I will probably yank the hub out of it's original case and remount it in a box to allow for all the solder joints and cable connections.

Yup, what you've detailed should work just fine. Just make sure you get the right wires soldered in the right places!

Back