Wireless small motor controller?

Rombus

2[H]4U
Ok im looking at controling 2 small motors in a package as small as possible. Is there an easy way to do variable control over shortrange wireless? I want the transmitter and reciver to be as small as possible. I figure i can do a 4 speed like controller using a off the shelf toy rc car (the $20 dollar small ones) But i was wondering if anyone had any better suggestions?

So essentially:

1. separately control 2 motors that run of 1 or 2 AA batteries
2. Small as possible
3. cheep as possible
4. Short-range (Less than 50 feet) wireless
5. either off the shelf or buildable

Any suggestions?

The amount of flexibility you want will largely determine what your final cost would be. My suggestion for a really ghetto solution would be to build a receiver that's sensitive to two particular frequencies, and use a couple of FETs to either put your batteries in series or parallel depending on which is stronger, above some threshold value. This would give you two speeds plus off.

A more elegant solution would be to use a couple of wireless serial modules such as those made by Linx, to communicate with a microcontroller that drives a PWM circuit, for much finer control, and probably better reliability.

BTW, you mention Kent state U. in your sig. working on a design porject?

its going to be very hard to compeate with the thousands of man hours of design that go into a cheep mass produced toy. ;)

Thanks for the link! thats alot of help! im going to look into it more tommrow.

This is for a personal project, eventually i want to do full control via a pc :D

Back