Wireless router work from basement? Please help :(

FragMastahFlem

Weaksauce
Will a 802.11b/g router work from my basement and still deliver good signal? I live in a 3000sq.ft house.

I tried installing one of those compact ones linksys sells(w/out an antenna) but even when I was directly above it I only had 20% signal from my PSP :(

I was planning on returning it tomorrow in favor of an antenna-equiped model, but now im not too sure if that will help. I also contemplated installing upstairs, but would running a wireless router through a wired router work? Also, does the wireless router need to have a computer to run it, or can I set it up stand-alone?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Wireless networks are not exactly my specialty so any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Most wireless routers and adapters have dipole antennas and the range you get depends on antenna orientation. It helps if you understand the signal radiation pattern for dipoles.

For transmitters with dipole antennas, most of the the signal radiates from the sides. Picture the antenna placed through the hole in a big fat glazed donut. The donut represents the shape of the transmitted signal. Lots of signal out the sides, not much on top or bottom. The reception pattern is similar for wireless adapters.

So you want to orient your downstairs router antenna sideways with respect to upstairs. Do the same with your wireless adapter antennas accessing the downstairs router.

If that still doesn't work, yes you can connect a wireless router to a wired one to get the wireless points closer together... I am running such a network at home.

You'll have better luck using a Pre-N router if you're going through a couple of floors. MUCH better/stronger signal to punch through walls/floors.

If you have an existing wired router, and you want to keep that but add wireless, you will want to add an access point, not a router. Some routers support both modes. Or...simply replace your existing older wired router with a nice wireless router.

also, wireless signals dont like being below ground, the signal likes to bounce off the earthen walls, its always better to have your transmitter above you rather than below or even same hight (line of sight reasons)

you look at just about any one that install a wireless router, they will almost always mount it on or near the cealing, radio and cell towers.. usually as high up as they can possibily get .... on a moutain and such.. you would think line of sight is line of sight, but haveing it below you is probably the worst possible place you could put it...

(and yes.. i know radio and cell towers arnt exactly the same thing... just driveing the point home...(althow.. gsm cell kinda is) )

thore

Get the Linksys WRT54GX4. It has MIMO for uber speed and penetration as well as WPA2 for security. If you want add in a MIMO PCMCIA or PCI card and that will seal the deal.

I use the WRT54GX4 but w/o a MIMO adapter. I just have a Broadcom adapter w/speedboost and still receive a bitchin signal. I went a block down the road and my laptop was able to pick up the WRT54GX4 with no problem. The Dlink that I used to have had a hard time penetrating just 3 walls and a floor.

I believe bestbuy sells the WRT54GX4 for about $150. Newegg sells it for $130.

Back