wireless pass thru router

BackStabber

Limp Gawd
Hello I am definately a novice
I currently run a Surfboard modem to D-Link DGL-4100 with a wrt54g hooked up and dhcp turned off I believe its called pasthru function. I love the 4100 router for gaming and wonder if there is a reasonable wireless N product that I could simly plug in where the wrt54g is currently. It doesnt need a alot of function but could use good power becuase we are in a 2 story house. I have comcast internet If there are better options for the same or less money I would listen. I cant find any.

Thanks

What you're doing is turning off the router part of your WRT54G so it acts simply as a wireless access point. You can do this with pretty much any router.. There is a consumer router recommendation thread in this sub-forum.

Since most of the consumer demand is for router+wireless combo devices there's really no such thing as a cheap AP for home use, most wireless APs have a lot of more business related features. Your best bet would just be to get a newer wireless N router and disable the router functions. Something like a Cisco E3000 refurb that were around $80 last I checked and dual band if you want 5GHz support.

You could place two wireless access points at opposite ends of the house for better signal.

Thanks I went with the recertified wrn3500 I hope it is as reliable as the wrt54g which almost never went down with out outside cause.

Back