Wireless not working, and reinstall is not a good option

skyking

n00b
1) Xp Pro laptop, must be used to support the specialized hardware.
2) Never used wireless, used verizon 3g USB for years.
3) Onboard or USB, wireless will not connect beyond the LAN. Known good hardware.
4) cardbus gigabit ethernet works fine (onboard ethernet is used with hardware).
5)wireless will connect to the router's page, and my home apache server. Will not connect outside LAN even by IP address. Nslookup works so DNS is there.

the old verizon USB has become flaky. New verizon 4g USB does not play well with xp. They say it will, but when you get to tier 2 and tier 3 support they admit, it sucks with XP. So they give us a mifi hotspot. Great, but wireless is a no go.

This is a very old install that has seen several different VPN and gateway software installs. Reinstalling from scratch will take a tremendous effort due to the hardware/software. It is medical in nature.

Any ideas on how to track down the wireless 'blockade'?
Nothing really jumps out in the logfiles. Maybe there is some tool I can run that will help me find it?

Open a command prompt and type in ipconfig /all. What ip information do you get under Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connections?

Have you pinged each of the steps outside the machine?

1. Ping the gateway
2. Ping something outside

If that works, check your DNS and make sure it's answering correctly. Might even be worth doing a tracert to see how far out you're getting...

Thanks. I did not think of tracert. I'll give that a try when I get back to the machine. It will be a while now.
I got it working with another 3G USB for now.

What error are you receiving? XP Is notorious for having a bug where you try to connect and it says "out of range" no matter how close you are.

Another thing you might want to try is disabling the onboard NIC and stopping and restarting the wireless zero configuration service.

Thanks, I will try those too. The Nic I can stop/start but it must stay on for normal operations.

Back