Wireless networking troubles by a newb

Skirrow

[H]ard|Gawd
Just today recieved my Linksys WRT54GS router and installed everything. Now i'm a total newb when it comes to networking, routers and wireless and ran into a couple of problems which i hope someone can help me with.

I have a main pc connected to the router via cable and a secondary pc connected via a wireless adapter (D-LINK DW-122). My main pc also has a wireless adapter (linksys WUSB54G) installed.

Both PC's can browse the internet flawlessly.

Problem 1:

I setup my router and was able to connect to the internet on the main pc with IE and Firefox. However, I cannot use MSN messenger or Grabit (a newsgroup browsing program). They just dont connect to their respective servers.

I tried port forwarding on the router but i need a static ip assigning on the NIC the router is connected to in the windows control panel. When i assign one, i input the ip,gateway,dns etc and hit ok. Then when i try to close the properties window it just hangs, and NOT RESPONDING appears in the windows title bar. This in turn crashes the desktop.

Anyone have any idea what i'm doing wrong? I've tried several times with no luck. Am i right in thinking the ports need forwarding?

Problem 2:

I want to share a printer that is connected to the main pc with the secondary pc. I setup a home network without ICS and just enabled file and printer sharing.

I then setup my printer in the control panel to be shared and gave it a name.

I goto my secondary pc and connect to the wireless network i setup on my router. I then goto the add printer wizard and have it check for networked printers. The window then shows that it is searching for printers but doesnt find anything.

I've gone wrong somewhere but i'm at a loss as to where.

Can anyone help here?

Update:

I dont have problem 1 on the secondary pc that is connected by wireless. I find this very strange.

Both pcs are running the same software, windows xp sp2, norton internet security.

Back