Wireless Network Help (WRT54G + WRE54G)

zerog83

n00b
I have a wireless network running through my apartment, and up until recently I've had very few problems with it. Over the past 8 months the network has been running, I would occasionally lose my connection completely. This was remedied (to an extent) by adding a Wireless Range Expander to my network.

About 2 weeks ago, I left town for a few days and my roommate disabled our wireless because our MAC-filtered access was still allowing the neighbors to use our Internet service. Upon returning home, I re-enabled the Wireless and set up WPA encryption for all wireless devices. This worked flawlessly for about a day...

The wireless network stopped responding completely. I spent about 4 hours that day resetting, reconfiguring, and swearing (rinse, repeat) until I finally got the services working. However, since then...

Depending on the routers' mood, I lose the wireless connection completely and can't find the network again. This happens every few minutes to every few hours. When it gets spotty, it stays that way for hours at a time, allowing me 1 - 2 minutes to load up a website or two before kicking me off the network again.

I tried setting everything to Static IPs, DHCP, all of that junk. I even went back to the original settings from weeks prior, but to no avail. The interesting thing is when the network is 'in range' I have a full-quality Wireless-G signal, but for whatever reason it stops responding completely to the point where I need a new IP address assigned every time it happens.

I am using a Linksys WRT54G wireless router with a Linksys WRE54G range extender. There are only 3 wireless clients on the network; my main box, my laptop and my Linksys Wireless Game Adaptor that I use for my 360/PS2. There are 3 other wired clients that experience absolutely no network issues. My computers' network card is a Linksys Wireless G card (v 4.0).

Anyone have any suggestions (other than running RJ-45 across my apartment)?

EDIT: The same problems occur with my Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop w/ Dell TrueMobile 1400 A/B/G wireless...

Back