Wireless-N Solution

Hey guys,

So, I have recently purchased a new laptop with Wireless-N capability and need to upgrade my router. I was looking at the Linksys N routers, and really like the newtork storage that one or two of them offered. However, I also read about a lot of connectivity issues and problems with the current firmware. What, if any, wireless-n routers would you guys recommend that I either buy or wait for? Any information would be great, thanks.

The problem is that the wifi alliance has just started to certify N wireless.
So right now, no one really knows what is compatible and what isn't.
Once two things are certified, then there should be no problems with them working together, but until then, it's a shot in the dark to say what is going to work well for your specific laptop.

The final 802.11n standard is not yet ratified. If you don't want to wait until that happens in another six months, then look for solutions that are certified as Draft 2.0 compatible, as they stand the best chance of conforming to the final standard.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/component/option,com_chart/Itemid,189/
http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/d-link-dir-655/4505-3319_7-32145084.html?tag=pdtl-list

The D-Link DIR-655 ($99 from Frys.com) is the best 802.11n Draft 2.0 solution available at the moment, at least in terms of raw performance. That said, if you don't mind spending 50% more, then you might want to wait for the DIR-855 coming next month. It's the same basic router, but adds 5GHz capability.

The final 802.11n standard is not yet ratified. If you don't want to wait until that happens in another six months, then look for solutions that are certified as Draft 2.0 compatible, as they stand the best chance of conforming to the final standard.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/component/option,com_chart/Itemid,189/
http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/d-link-dir-655/4505-3319_7-32145084.html?tag=pdtl-list

The D-Link DIR-655 ($99 from Frys.com) is the best 802.11n Draft 2.0 solution available at the moment, at least in terms of raw performance. That said, if you don't mind spending 50% more, then you might want to wait for the DIR-855 coming next month. It's the same basic router, but adds 5GHz capability.

Well said. I was also going to comment about the 802.11n standard not being fully implied.

Being it isn't finalized yet- the technology can (and probably will) change.

Meaning if you need to add additions to your N network, chances are the future standard won't work with the stuff that is currently out.

Being it isn't finalized yet- the technology can (and probably will) change.

Meaning if you need to add additions to your N network, chances are the future standard won't work with the stuff that is currently out.
Atheros seems pretty confident that its Draft 2.0 chipsets will support the final 802.11n specification.

However, even if they don't, all 802.11n cards and routers still support 802.11g for backward compatibility. Many of the 802.11n cards and routers also support 802.11g MIMO. However, I agree that if 802.11n is your primary reason for buying a new router, you should wait, because no vendor can guarantee compatibility with the final standard at this time.

If you were planning to replace your router now anyway, then there are some good arguments for choosing a 802.11n router even if you care nothing for draft 802.11n. If you want the best wired performance in a consumer router, or the best 802.11g performance with QoS and WPA2, you've pretty much got to buy a 802.11n router. Many of these 802.11n routers feature next-generation CPUs with 50% to 100% greater performance than those typically used in older 802.11g routers, and this allows them to sustain higher routing speeds and support QoS and/or WPA2-AES without any performance penalty.

The Linksys wrt300n
DLink 4x00 series
DLink 655 series
Belkin N units....are doing well. Most of my setups have been the wrt300n lately. Good performers, fantastic distance. Most of my new wireless install for about 2 years now have been Pre-N and Draft-N installs....for homes and small businesses, I do those, over old "G".

Reason being...the benefits of MIMO are simply too many to ignore..biggest one being the fantastic increase in range over old G units. This is the biggest reason I use them.

They work perfectly fine with old G and pre-historic B adapters. Most of my setups have Thinkpad laptops involved as clients...Centrino G chipsets.

The fact that "N" hasn't gone official yet doesn't meat a hoot to me. The fact is...it is, and will remain, fully backwards compatible with G cards. The fact is..the unit will not cease to function when N becomes official and on store shelves (which in reality is well more than 1 year away..closer to 2). Wireless routers are sooo cheap, and people upgrade so often..by the time N goes official, just pickup a new model way down the road when that happens.

Back