Wireless N Solution for Desktop

Blackstone

2[H]4U
I've got a pretty powerful desktop with a Corei7 processor. I bought a wireless N USB dongle and of course it sucks. Almost zero connectivity. In the same room, I've got my laptop with internal wireless N and it flys--almost 3MB/sec downloads and rock solid connectivity. So the signal is there. My question is, what do I need for my desktop to pick it up properly?

My board is an Asus P6 and as far as slots go I'm only using the PCI-E for the graphics card and PCI for my X-Fi soundblaster. So I am thinking one of the big internal cards with the antennae sticking out the back should work but can anyone confirm that those cards are as good or better than what is in my laptop? Anyone want to recommend one? My router is d-link.

I bought a wireless N USB dongle and of course it sucks.
what did you pay for it? was it < $20?

My question is, what do I need for my desktop to pick it up properly?

you need a > $20 wireless card. just because it has the letter N on it does not mean it has a strong clear signal. for desktop computers, i always prefer a wireless card with an external antenna, as being right next to a big metal case can attenuate it a lot. also people usually push the back of their case into a corner, or throw the case in an enclosed area or next to a wall. having the antenna on your desk in the open provides better signal. you also need to take into account any other devices that operate on 2.4 or 5 ghz frequencies which could interfere or introduce noise to your wireless network.

which dlink router do you have?

Back