Wireless Interfaces

pcperson

n00b
I've been looking for a wireless keyboard/mouse, but i was wondering, What is the difference between IR and RF. Are there any pro's con's from either, like range, or interference with other devices like remotes or radios or anything. So basically, if you had to choose RF or IR, which one and why, thanks

pcperson said:
I've been looking for a wireless keyboard/mouse, but i was wondering, What is the difference between IR and RF. Are there any pro's con's from either, like range, or interference with other devices like remotes or radios or anything. So basically, if you had to choose RF or IR, which one and why, thanks

IR requires that your keyboard/mouse point directly at the receiver to work, sort of like your tv remote. RF does not have this limitation as you are free to move the keyboard and mouse around. the con with RF is that sometimes you might have another wireless device that can interfere with the connection (cordless phone possibly, depending on its frequency) my all-in-wonder video card came with a RF remote and i have had no problems with it. it has good range and i dont have to worry about pointing the remote at the receiver :)

Back