Wireless desktop card with x64 support?

Ulrezaj

Weaksauce
I've had a Linksys WMP11 PCI wireless card for a while, but since upgrading my computer, I haven't been able to get it to work with Windows x64. I talked to a Linksys rep and they said they don't have any 64-bit drivers available. So I need recommendations on a wireless solution for my desktop, preferably also PCI-based but if not then something small-ish. It obviously needs x64 support, and I'd like to avoid breaking the bank if possible too :p
Any help is appreciated!

If you can't find a PCI solution, you may consider several adapters which plug into your ethernet card and seamlessly connect your desktop to the rest of the wireless network.

The Asus WL-330g is one example. It's about the size of a deck of cards. It has a switch on it allowing it to be an access point, or a bridge. Once it's configured, you connect it to your PC with a ethernet patch cable, and that's it. The PC thinks it's talking ethernet, and the WL-330g does't the bridging to the wireless LAN.

One caveat: I've had one of these successfully running on my daughter's machine for just over a year. Last week, it stopped working. No matter what I do, it now comes up in access point mode ALL THE TIME, and won't come up in bridge mode. I've since pulled it and replaced it with a cheap-o Zonet USB wireless adapter, which is good enough for what she does on it.

Given this experience, you may want to consider a different brand. I'll be looking into warranty support for my unit when I have time. I'm a software devel who just got put into crunch time mode, so very little free time.

Speaking of which, time to get back to it!

Run a seach in this forum. About a month ago there was a long thread on an x64 wifi card.

Back