Wireless - cannot attain IP

DigitalMP

Gawd
The signal is excellent, and the network key was accepted, but I can't seem to get an IP address, or ping the router.

The ethernet PC on this router (Linksys 4 port w 802.11b) is accessing the www with no issues.

Any suggestions?

DigitalMP said:
The signal is excellent, and the network key was accepted, but I can't seem to get an IP address, or ping the router.

Any suggestions?

Triple check the key. Verify the key is coded correctly (hex or whatever you selected).

Sending but not receiving? That would be an encryption issue.

So I should go into the router configs and assure that DHCP is enabled in the wireless section?

And what about encryption? Are you saying it should be off? Or just changed to a different type?

FYI, this is my friend's business, a desktop PC and new Toshiba laptop with a wireless card. Nothing crazy at all. He wasn't there when I was playing with it yesterday, so I'm waiting for him to call me to see if it ever had connectivity.

I'm not too experienced with wireless, but is there a way I can wipeout the wireless connection data and start fresh? Would that be easier?

Forget DHCP, set your IP statically and make sure it works. Then you *know* the wireless stuff is correct. Once you get that working, getting DHCP to work should be easy.

DigitalMP said:

The ethernet PC on this router (Linksys 4 port w 802.11b) is accessing the www with no issues.

Any suggestions?

Perhaps pinging is disabled in the router?? DHCP could also be disabled which COULD be the other half of your problem.

QJ

P.S. I love you ktwebb....

QwertyJuan said:
Perhaps pinging is disabled in the router?? DHCP could also be disabled which COULD be the other half of your problem.

QJ

P.S. I love you ktwebb....

Without an IP he would not be able to ping the router though. Getting a working IP address would be the first issue.

Okay, I'll set the IP info myself and see how that works. Thanks...

Juan, no pimpin in my thread!

Forget DHCP, set your IP statically and make sure it works. Then you *know* the wireless stuff is correct. Once you get that working, getting DHCP to work should be easy.

If you get that working, there's really no reason to go to DHCP.

I'd turn off encryption temporarily and see if you can get an IP and get things working. Then you'd know it was the encryption messing things up. You will want encryption on, though, but you've have narrowed down the problem. I'd also check your security settings and make sure you aren't set to block MAC addresses. If you are then you'd need to add your wireless adapter's MAC to the list.

DHCP is nice if you like centrally-managed IP addresses... if you ever change your IP range, or DNS servers, or default gateway, DHCP makes updating all your workstaions a 5 second job.

I know this sounds retarded, but we have a similar problem that occurs regularly.....try restarting your router, it always seems to fix it for us...

Well, no one knew the password for the router, so I reset it, and went to the ethernet-wired PC (#3) and entered the MACs of the two wireless machines. Then I couldn't get them to connect, even when I hard-coded the IP info, though they saw the network.

Linksys support sucked, but tomorrow morning I'm going to try and set it up without encryption. It's a 3 PC p2p, and they each have firewalls installed, so I should be ok without it, right?

DigitalMP said:
Linksys support sucked, but tomorrow morning I'm going to try and set it up without encryption. It's a 3 PC p2p, and they each have firewalls installed, so I should be ok without it, right?

Encryption is to protect your data in transit, not to protect your PC. Think about your passwords, usernames, account numbers, and everything else you do online being available for anyone with a wireless card and a sniffer.

Malk-a-mite said:
Encryption is to protect your data in transit, not to protect your PC. Think about your passwords, usernames, account numbers, and everything else you do online being available for anyone with a wireless card and a sniffer.
It doesn't matter, because unless they are parked in your driveway they won't stand a prayer of sniffing anything, and even then it's doubtful, depending on the WAP and environmental factors.

Back