Wireless access point for best range

Orcish

Weaksauce
I am looking into the posibility of setting up a public hot spot at my library. What 802.11g routers / access points offer the best range? Any one have any opinions as to what I should choose or stay away from.

Cordially,

Steven Thomas
CKLS Automation Services

Why 802.11g? Most people are 802.11b capable, but few are a or g.

Also, higher power devices are available for a.

I'd look into a Cisco 350, as it offers a 100mw output with a lot of enterprise level features.

Alternatively, if you are looking for something cheaper... you can take a standard prism based AP and swap out the card with a 200w Senao. I think there are some AP's that come with that card as a standard option, but I don't know quite what the models are.

I've noticed that my linksys 802.11b access point had great range and signal strenght over my linksys 802.11g access point. Only problem is less security features on the 802.11b I have. :(

-Robert

Thanks for the reply, I hadn't thought, but for plain net surfing 802.11b would be just as good as 802.11g. I'll keep looking and see what I can come up with. Anyone have experience with any of the add on antennas that are out now?

Orc

If it's in the budget, go with a specific hotspot device, that has features/security/logging/bandwidth limiting for an open hotspot. Just for paranoia's sake alone.

Once word gets out that an unrestricted hotspot is open all the scriptkiddies and black hats and such will flood the library and leave your IP as a tracing point...

Just another point of view.

How 'bout a Linksys WRT54g wireless router and a couple Linksys WAP54g access points acting in repeater mode? Works great in my 4-floor house.

avoid linksys-G. they underpower them.

fortunatly, the WRT can be hacked

Back